SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffvandezande

Cast Iron Question

6 years ago

About 5 days ago, it rained in our kitchen. I tracked the problem down to a cast iron pipe that drains the upstairs toilet and tub. It runs horizontal from the toilet, goes under a wall and then under a hallway floor where it hooks into a PVC stack.
I went through the floor and found the crack in the pipe. The rest of the pipe looks good, but overall the pipe is in a tricky spot. Also, the crack starts in the bathroom, runs under the wall, and goes out into the hallway. Currently, I have the crack patched, but I can already see rust stains coming up through the patch that Home Depot recommended.
Is this just a temporary fix? Do I risk having the crack continue to grow? Should I just cut out the damaged section and replace with PVC.
I would love for the patch to work, but I'm guessing that since I have the floor cut up, I should probably just cut out the bad section of pipe and replace. It really is in a trick spot between floor joists. I'll probably have to cut the pipe into sections in order to get it all out.
What are folks thoughts?

Comments (6)