SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edragon25

Help- supplemental lighting for indoor succulents?

edragon25
6 years ago

Hi there,

I have a small collection of succulents growing on my east-facing windowsill. The only windows in my apartment are east and south-facing windows, and the south-facing ones don't get that much strong light throughout the day where as the east-facing ones get great morning sun. The succulents are sitting on and around the windowsill, as you can see in the following pictures.

(The bowls are temporary and will be soon moved to make more space on the sill, one of the plants in this same room had fungus gnats so I set out a bunch of bowls filled with apple cider vinegar to attempt to catch any egg laying adults that might be flying around)

The window gets a little over 3 hours of direct morning sunlight from about 8:45 am to 12:00 pm. before then it gets some filtered sunlight, and afterwards it gets moderate indirect sunlight.

But, I have a couple problems.

First of all- etiolation. Most of the succulents on the sill are Echeveria- what I believe to be a Black Prince/Knight, Blue Curls, and a Perle Von Nurnberg, and then a Neon Breakers, Minima cluster, and a Lola.

The last three I haven't had long enough to see any problems with (though when I bought the Neon Breakers it was somewhat stretched out), but the first three are another story. When I bought each of them they were etiolated, the Blue Curls especially. The new growth looks to be healthy and compact on each of them, but they noticeably lean towards the light- which I know will lead to etiolation as they grow more. (Also, the Black Prince has lost most of it's dark colors and gone to green)

Here you can see how the Black Prince rosette and it's flower stalk are bending towards the light:

And here, the Blue Curls:

I'm a little scared for my Echis, and I really want to prevent them from stretching any more, so I started considering adding a grow light above them for supplemental light. I really don't want a large, florescent tube fixture, so I was considering a CFL like this one with a fixture like this. Do you guys think that those, placed 8-12 inches above the sill, would help to reduce or hopefully stop them from leaning towards the light?

Also, like I showed before, the Black Prince has lost much of it's dark color that they are known for, and my Firesticks Euphorbia has lost some of the red color of the tips that it had when I first got it:

I really want to figure out if there is anything I can do to give them back their color. I know that both these plants as well as many other colorful succulents tend to lose their color indoors, but I was hoping to get you guys' opinions on if a grow light above them would help to stop the etiolation as well as give them back some color.

(Also, I know many succulents color up when they're stressed from lots of sun and little water, but I already water them very little, I'm almost positive the loss of color is from their lighting situation)

I know that this was a pretty long post, but I will be very thankful for any replies. Thanks for your help!

Comments (3)