SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepatty

If You Got to Start From Scratch...

maggiepatty
6 years ago

One of my friends is super-downsizing. She is leaving the home where she raised her children and moving further south, shipping just one "pod" of belongings. Watching her shed the accumulated 'stuff' of 30 years of family life has been inspiring in a KonMari way, but the thing that I'm most envious of isn't the absence of clutter, it's that she gets to start from scratch with new colors and styles.

I feel like so many of my decorating choices were born in compromise, either from needing to be 'practical' or starting out with something inherited and then choosing other things to go with that thing, etc.

Anyway, it got me thinking about what I'd do differently if I was the one starting from scratch. Well, mostly from scratch, because there are about ten pieces of furniture I would not part with voluntarily. But the brown sofa purchased when I had three kids under ten? Adios!

I will in fact be downsizing soon enough--just one young person still at home now, so I'm setting my sights on the day the brown sofa and I part ways.

I've pinned a few rooms on Pinterest that represent "some day" to me, and I notice they are all lighter than my current rooms, but they actually have more stuff in them than I have now. I guess with kids in the house my motto was always "if it isn't here, I won't have to clean it" and I leaned toward the minimalist end of the spectrum. When I don't have to worry about spills and kids tossing gear on the sofa, I can have a few pretty pillows, etc.

If you were starting from scratch (or if you've actually done it!) , how would your new rooms look
different from the ones you have now? What would you be happy to be rid
of, and what would be driving the choices you make on the other end of
the move?

Comments (30)