SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azr2d_gw

starting garden from scratch

10 years ago

Hello all,
We recently renovated a small ranch including waterproofing the entire foundation. This meant the removal of all the plants around the house. At first I was excited about planning out my new garden as there were so many possibilities. I now find it daunting as there are too many possibilities. Would anybody care to add their thoughts to what I should do with the front garden?

About us and house. Young family with 3 small kids - I love working in the garden but don't always have the time I would like - ie a garden that is low maintenance and not too delicate as I'm sure the kids will dig in it / hide in it / swing from it. Zone 7. If you are looking from the front left corner of the house to the rear right corner of the house you are looking almost due north.

Here are some photos:
{{gwi:51277}}
Front looking north. The slope is pretty severe. I love the idea of a weeping maple in that spot in the mulch but this red one won't take the full sun it is getting. I've got a green variety of weeping maple with yellow fall color that I'm going to put there instead and then find another home for the red weeping maple. There are 3 small blue rug junipers on the worst part of the hill. I think I would like something trailing over the wooden retaining wall and am intrigued by weeping rosemary.

{{gwi:51279}}
front view - dogwood in middle

{{gwi:51280}}
front view from other angle

{{gwi:51282}}
nasty slope with the red Japanese maple that will be relocated along with 3 blue rug junipers

{{gwi:51284}}
View as you come up the front steps. I would like to plant something between the corner of the house and the Norway Maple (I think that is what that large maple is) to hide the neighbor's AC unit. I was thinking this might be a place for the relocated red Japanese maple and some oakleaf hydrangeas.

{{gwi:51286}}
Close up of the right side of the house. There are 2 large window wells that let in lots of light to the basement that I don't want to obstruct.

{{gwi:51287}}
closeup of the left side of the front door.

We just moved to Virginia from Ohio and I am enamored with the wonderful variety of plants that grow here. Crape Myrtles are beautiful and I've already planted 3 along the west side of the house. Huge azaleas that knock your socks off with their spring displays. I have my favorites too. White hydrangeas, be them little lamb or Annabelle. Oakleaf hydrangeas. Heck any type of hydrangeas. Smoke Bush. Some of the beautiful shapes and colors of junipers. See, I get carried away and don't know where to start. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Andria

Comments (5)