SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Homemade Laundry Soap??

mamapinky0
6 years ago

I'm starting a new thread so as not to step on anyone's toes. First I'm going to say this stuff is not detergent, there's no detergent in it...the most common recipe for the liquid is 1 bar of grated soap, 2 cups Borax, and 2 cups Washing Soda, and 5 gallons of water+ 2 quarts....melt the shredded soap in the 2 quarts of boiling water, add 5 gallons of water into a very large bucket, stir in the borax and washing soda until disolved, add the disolved soap, stir well.......now you have 5 gallons of what I refer to as witches brew. WHY?? Follow along....at the measurements of the products used for this you are only using a few grams of each product in each load as the ingridents have been diluted in a boat load of water...how well do you think a couple grains of borax or washing soda is going to perform, expecially when the back of these boxes say to use something like 1/2 cup to each load of laundry ALONG with your detergent to act as a booster...now lets talk water...this calls for tap water, you can ask any person that makes soap what the first lesson in soap making is...its bacteria in tap water...within a week or so

that huge bucket of jell you made is multiplying in bacteria.now about the bar soap, what happens to your bath tub when you use bar soap..scum.and thats exactly what builds up in textiles as soap never fully rinses out..In the past before synthetic detergents came along laundry was done using bar soap and washing soda but very hot to boiling water was used along with a lot of elbow grease to scrub stains prior to going into the tub in boiling water...there was a reason our grandparents were so happy when synthetic detergents hit the market.

Comments (13)