SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsbutler71

Garden Dying off for the second year in a row

David
6 years ago

For at least the second year in a row my garden is slowly dying off. It started with my tomatoes turning yellow, spread to the cucumbers and now to the green beans. Last year it killed my tomatoes and cucumbers very early in the season.

Here's a shot of what the cucumber leaves are looking like:

Here's the top side of the green beans:

And the bottom side of the green beans:

Whatever it is is slowly eating away all of my green beans as it spreads from the tomatoes/cucumbers:

I've done quite a bit of research and I can't figure out what actually is the issue. When I pick the green beans my hands turn red (rust?). I started applying a fungicide early this year prior to any problems and have continued that, but obviously it hasn't worked.

This happened last year to my tomatoes and cucumbers. I rotate my crops in my small plot each year so they are not ever in the same location. I have a irrigation system that waters the garden four times a week in the spring and more in the summer if we are not getting much rain (in Northern Virginia).

Three years ago I had my soil tested and the results came back great, essentially saying I didn't need to do anything to it. Over the past five years I've added a significant amount of compost to the garden.

I'm at a loss for what to do. A lot of time/money wasted! Please help...

Comments (31)