SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josue_diaz75

Outdoor container culture - looking for suggestions

Hello everyone,

I hope you all got a chance to work on your gardens (or spend time in your gardens) this past weekend. I spent some time weeding and re-arranging pots around the yard. I moved two large terra-cotta pots to the front yard, and was hoping you could give me suggestions on what to plant in one of them.

I am in zone 9b in the interior central valley - so we have lots of heat and lots of sun. The pots are in full sun, so whatever goes in there will have to withstand plenty of sun exposure. Here is a picture of the area with the pots - they are in the middle of the yard.

The large pot already has protea in it, and I plan on keeping it there. The smaller of the two use to have chili peppers in it, but I tore those out since they were in decline anyhow. I would like to plant something that will compliment the plants already here. I hand water and I don't have the discipline to keep water-thirsty perennials happy, so I have to keep that in mind. Do any of you have suggestions as to what might go well in the smaller pot? I have several plants I can use already, but I'm open to suggestions.

Dypsis decaryi (I could move this under the porch in the event of frost.)

aechmea blanchettiana (would it be wise to plant a bromeliad here?)

cereus peruvianus (the tall stem would have to be under-planted with something)

Encephalartos transvenosus (small 1-gallon plant - would have to be planted with something else to fill in the pot).

Comments (5)