SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbams

Beginner & don't know where to start! Suggestions PLEASE!

Beth D.
6 years ago

I have soooo much to do in the front and backyard but the space lining the back fence is first (then I'll tackle the sides). It's a very long space w/trees (including a pine tree that I don't think looks right in there but I dunno). Goals when designing it are below but it's long so I'd appreciate any suggestions even if you don't want to read the long goals list because I'm open to anything. THANKS!!!!

P.S. I live in Colorado = VERY dry and very hot (90's lately) w/sun 300 days/year (this area is obviously shaded all day) but cold winters.

1. All DIY and keep costs as low as possible without effecting quality. Example: if my 1st choice plant is expensive I'll go for 2nd choice, or if the "cheap" soil attracts bugs or something I'll go with mid level.

2. Create a space that's easier to keep it looking neat (I cleaned most but you can see on the right/middle how many leaves accumulate that I have to separate from the mulch).

3. Preferably lose the mulch because it's so hard to keep it clean with all the leaves (and I don't want to keep buying more every year).

4. Somehow hide the the tree stumps so I don't constantly have to cut the little viney plant things growing around the stumps (told ya I don't know what I'm talking about )

5. Do everything within that space because I don't want the yard to look smaller... I just extended the patio so it's already feeling smaller as it is.

6. Should I cut the branches to a higher level? Yes I have neighbors lining my yard separated by the fence. We both use our yards a lot. Should I cut down the pine tree? I know nothing but guessing the tree next to it isn't getting a lot of light.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022