SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_singrossi

Northern Cali/Bay Area/ Sacramento area

Ryan Singrossi
6 years ago

Hey everyone I just want to let people know that may have been at the Sacramento cactus and succulent sale or SF cactus and succulent society sale that I bought a astrophytum Asteria and a haworthia from a plant vendor know as Plantaseca I didn't go through my normal plant vetting for pests, and the astrophytum I got from plantaseca turned out to be so infested with mealy bugs they literally sucked the life out of my plant. At first I thought it was a dehydration problem til I noticed a few mealys at the top of the plant. After about a week I did some more examining of the plant and found the roots were heavily infested. It was the worst infestation on a plant Ive ever seen I freaked out and cleaned the plant, got rid of the soil, but there were too many mealys, so I dropped the plant in dish soap and I let it soak before I tossed it in the trash, in hopes they wouldn't spread. I then checked the only other plant I bought from them and saw one mealy so I pulled the plant out of its pot, blasted it down with water, checked the roots and didn't find anymore so I repotted it in fresh media in a different pot. I proceeded to check the rest of my plants, and the only other mealy I discovered was a small one crawling around on one of m lithops which I killed. I checked my lithop better and didn't find anymore, so I will keep my eyes out now to make sure I don't have anymore problems and if I do, I will hopefully catch it before it gets it of control.

If you bought plants from any of these shows/sales particularly from plantaseca I would recommend double checking the crevices of your plants. I paid 15 dollars to plantaseca for that Asteria so I'm a little bummed out. I'm going to be on guard for the rest of the week now.

I hate mealys so much! Such an insidious pest!

Comments (10)