SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shipp62

San Diego County Fair Finds

SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

After reading a post where Kara remarked on how under appreciated and remarkable Euphorbia trigona are and then seeing (finally noticing!) some huge, beautiful specimens at the San Diego Zoo, I knew I would get one sooner or later.

I also had in the back of my mind that I wanted a Copper Spoons. This is a Kalanchoe, right.

The Black Prince (I think...right?) was just a bonus. Never seen any this healthy and fat in the stores.

The prices were from $2 on up. These were $6 bucks each. If you can make it to the fair, July 4th is the last day. I'm sure it'll be crazy busy, but typically vendors drop their prices trying to sell off as much as they can. This vendor (I could kick myself for not getting the nursery name. The banner with their name was there but I was gaga looking at the plants and trying not to keep my family waiting any longer) was where the exhibit halls are. The one that always has the plant and garden displays. Actually outside of the exhibit hall.

They also had some hypertufa pots and some other creative pots. There was a customer there who bought a pot and plant and needed it immediately for a gift so the vendor repotted right there for her for no additional charge.

Tyler

Comments (33)

• socks
    6 years ago

Very nice. Looks you got two copper spoons in one pot. I like that plant and saw on a youtube video that they can get pretty large, looked like about 2-3'. Thinking I'll have to move mine.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Copper spoons can be beheaded if too tall, I did my plant. It is growing few branches from the cut stem, and the top part was potted up & growing too.

• Related Discussions

Australian Finger Limes in San Diego County

Q

Comments (45)
    It is very lovely where we are, we are surrounded by commercial nurseries because we have such great growing conditions right where we are. We feel very, very blessed We do spend huge amounts of time outside, here. I have an entire outdoor kitchen, in fact (both of us being of Italian extraction, we must have an awesome kitchen, lol!) We are all doing well, I am recovering from a shingles outbreak, which I'm kind of young for and had not gotten the vaccine, yet. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. So, I would admonish anyone who had chicken pox as a kid, to talk to your doctor about the wisdom of getting a shingles vaccination. I'm hoping I don't end up with permanent nerve damage from that outbreak, ugh. All the family is well, and we're gearing up for our annual July 4th shindig! Jades are doing great! One is big, one is still small, and I might have a little something for you, hint, hint :-) Patty S.
    ...See More

San Diego Area art and craft fair

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi everyone........I'm new on this panel today and was so happy to have found it. I'm not a potter how-ever I do love painting ceramics and wood bird houses as well. I'm going to my 2nd ceramic show in San Bernardino Orange Show I believe if my dates are right on January 12, 13. I'm very new to painting ceramics but I have someone just a round the cornner from me who has a house and garage she turned into a ceramic shop. I'm so happy to have moved to this area as finding ceramic shops is hard to fine anymore. Well..now I have a place to come and questions if I get stuck.
    ...See More

April 22 to April 28th San Diego

Q

Comments (2)
    I am glad you enjoyed the reading. It sure was a wonderful trip. I am now trying to get all the pics offf my cell phone...sigh ...no memory card...and then I will get the whole thing put together. Will keep me busy for weeks ! c
    ...See More

Any of you in San Diego or S. Orange or Riverside County?

Q

Comments (4)
    I am in SD. Cabinetry Design built gorgeous custom cherry cabinets with raised panels for our last house in 2004. They were better priced than a lot of the semi-custom lines we priced at kitchen showrooms and big box stores. I am currently waiting for them to build slab walnut cabinets for our new house. Light colored quartzite is hard to find in SD. In the Miramar area, check Amazon, Tutto Marmo, AZ Tile, Brazilian Exotic Granite, and Marmol, as they regularly carry White Macauba and some other light quartzites. In San Marcos, Granix and Brazilian Exotic Granite have quartzite. I visited those yards multiple times over the year and a half that I was planning the remodel to see what new shipments arrived. There were a few slabs early in the process that I wish I had bought, because it took a while to wait for new shipments that had large enough slabs with a pattern I like. I finally bought my slabs of WM at Amazon last week. Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinetry Design
    ...See More
  • aloebot
    6 years ago

Rina, the Queen of Hearts!

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The Copper spoons is in about 3" pot. I haven't repotted yet but I know that there are at least 2 plants, probably 3, possibly 4. I saw a really pretty one near the botanical garden in Balboa Park. It was a nice sized plant. Good to know I can behead it and root the cuttings.

Tyler

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Nice finds:)! The Euphorbia should love your climate. Mine always looses it's leaves. I think it has something to do with stress. I personally think they look much nicer with leaves:).

Your BP looks beautiful. Reminds me I need to repot my big guy:).

A couple months ago I was in Lowes and saw these huge Kalenchoe what looked like Fang, but the leaves were bigger than my hands. I did some research. The name they id'd it as was off of course. I did some research and it's called K. beharensis Drake aka Velvet Elephant Ear. Your Copper Spoons reminded me of that plant for some reason;).

Here's a pic from Google images. Not only are the leaves huge, but they can get the size of small trees. Whoever bought those plants will gave a nice surprise:)!

Original Author
    6 years ago

YES! I've seen these quite frequently here. As a matter of fact, I just saw some on Saturday on the grounds at the Del Mar racetrack where the fair is held each year. Another one that just begs for you to touch it. Very fuzzy. I didn't know they were Kalanchoe, though. HUGE!!!

Regarding the Euphorbia, is there another one that looks similar to these? Those that I saw at the San Diego zoo were growing in full sun and really, REALLY tall. I saw them from the sky tram growing near one of the buildings. The roof of the building had to be at least 10-12 feet high. The grouping of Euphrobia trigona were the green variety and they towered over the building. Seems like maybe they were near the elephant enclosure...? ...if any of you happens to have been to the zoo or noticed them, maybe you know what I'm talking about.

I asked about possible different plant but similar looking because from what I've read online, Euphorbia trigona get to be about 7' tall. What I saw at the zoo were clearly over. They were very impressive.

Tyler

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Do the stems look about the size of yours or bigger?

Do they look more like these:)?

Original Author
    6 years ago

Not quite. They look like mine, but green and taller. Giants. Clumps of maybe 3-5 in a grouping. All leafed out with little green leaves all up and down the edges of the stalks/stems/plants. If I had to estimate the diameter of each one, I'd say each one may be about 8-10 inches around...? Very shiny, emerald green leaves. THOUSANDS of them. Not sure that I've ever been at the zoo when they were all leafed out before, plus we had a lot of rain this year after a 5-6 year drought so even plants that haven't bloomed for years are putting on a show.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

They could be Trigona. I've seen some pics online that look taller than 7 feet.

I bet ones that are old could easily pass the 7' mark.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I've been searching online for what I saw at the zoo. This link below, while it doesn't show the entire plant, seems to really resemble what I saw. Still looking for a better pic, though. The plants in the foreground.

https://traynes.wordpress.com/page/12/

https://traynes.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/p1040818.jpg

Original Author
    6 years ago

Maybe this link is better? 3rd pic down.

http://momtomadre.org/blog/summer-nights/

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

You should be able to find them super easy in SD. If I could give you a little advice when buying one. That's if you do:). Get one that has been grown by seed, not a cutting. I personally think they look better. The way you can tell it has been grown by seed. The plant should have a thick base like a trunk. The cuttings look like somebody has just cut branches and turned them into cuttings. Plus I think there's better success with seed grown. They get these beautiful strong bases/trunks. Idk really know if the cuttings ever get those as they mature.

If you like that cutting look than by all means, but I really love the trunk of mine. I feel like if I didn't tell you this it would be a disservice to you:).

Pic from the internet. See how these look like a bunch of cuttings.

The trunks have these beautiful designs. I wish it wasn't dark or I would take a pic of mine.

SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B) thanked Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the id and the advice. Yes. I do see what you mean and you're right.- I wouldn't have known the difference. How long have you had yours? Any idea how old it might be? What are your plans for it as it gets LARGER?

Tyler

Original Author
    6 years ago

Guess I bought the wrong plant at the fair, huh? lol! It's cute nonetheless. Just not what I thought I was getting.

Tyler

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I love Euphorbias:)! I could see how you get them confused. They both have tiny little leaves and spines. There was a post not to long ago that somebody thought that it was a Euphorbia. Especially when a cutting they can resemble a Euphorb.

I really couldn't tell you how old he is I've had him for about 6 years. I wish I had a earlier pic of him, but I really didn't start taking pics of my plants until I joined this forum. I do know he's not the fastest grower. He's put on growth. Not in much height, but branches. He was not in the best pot the first 5 years of his life. I put him in a new one last year.

Here's his trunk:). The woody spikes spiral up.

Original Author
    6 years ago

That spiraling is a very interesting effect. My new next must have, from seed. Somehow I get the feeling that most of what I'm going to find is going to be cuttings.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Ya you will find mostly cuttings, but remember you live in the succulent capital of the world:). At least that's what I think;).

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    6 years ago

Aualladia does well in the bay area..depends on the right spot. Lots of sun. Largest here I've seen was about 6'. Full of leaves. I have one I just removed...it got shadowed by faster growing plants. Small yard problems again.

The Kalanchoe beherensis Felt plant..another that does well in the bay area. You may never see one in a local front yard..but plant one and its not a slow grower. You remind me,I should get another. I think the large leafed original form is hardier then "chocolate" the small version. Faster growing too.

SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B) thanked stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
  • Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

My Allauadia does really well here. I don't really baby him all that much in the winter months. Compared to some other plants he gets no special attention. He does look dead from about Nov-April. Maybe that's why he does so well:). Definitely loves the sun. Morning sun is not enough for this guy:).

• Ryan Singrossi
    6 years ago

I had bought an Alluaudia at Home Depot a few years back they had tons of them in those green drought smart pots. They had 5 plants in each pot. I bought one but lost it in a move :( I have to be super selective with my plants now because I've lost an entire collection shortly after I moved a year and a half ago and I plan on moving again in 6months to a year to LA. I know I can't take all that I have with me now so I will be having a plant sale. I will only be taking the ones I've never seen in nurseries before, and my sempervivums.

Tyler I can totally imagine you rocking a plant in each hand as you walk through the entire San Diego fairgrounds. Lol

i love your copper spoons it's way bigger than the one I picked up at the cactus and succulent show this year. I was so excited when I found it because I had never seen that particular kalanchoe before. A week later I ended up going to Lowes and they had an entire shelf of Copper spoons 3 times bigger than the one I picked up. Figures!

I went through a euphorbia collecting phase but ended up with a bunch of tendor ones I ended up loosing. Now I have a euphorbia pencil plant and a euphorbia that I lost the tag to and cant remember what it is. But I've neglected it for two years allowing it to sit out in the cold and rain. It has some etiolation from when I first got it(which makes it look kind of neat) but since I've been ignoring it and left it outside its started taking on its normal compact growth. I'll have to take a picture of it to see if anyone can it for me.

Thanks for sharing your cool finds!

SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B) thanked Ryan Singrossi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, if San Diego truly is the succulent capital of the world, then hopefully finding an Allauadia procera seedling won't be too difficult. Good to know they don't have to be babied.

Since last year was my 1st year with the Adenium and I needed to bring everyone inside for those below 50 degree nights, I'm really not looking to get any more plants that need to be babied like that. I had several seedlings that I'd started in the Fall so needed heat mats for them. Plus since space was limited, I held them back & kept them under potted well past the time they should've been graduated up to the next size. I repotted them not long after everyone was moved back outside, so inside space is even more limited with the larger pots.

That, in addition to running out of room under the patio umbrella for the more tender cacti and succulents means any future plants need to be able to stay outside year round and be able to take being in full sun.

Tyler

Original Author
    6 years ago

I actually did walk around the entire fair hauling around my new acquisitions, though not quite in that pleased with myself double fisted way Ryan's comment makes me envision. lol I knew that if I didn't break away from the fam and get what I wanted fairly early in the trip, we never would've made it back to that area. After walking around all day, eating, rides, etc., there was going to be NO WAY my family was going to want to go back to that area when they'd had enough of the fair and we're ready to go. It would've been a bee line for the exit and no plants for me. So yes, I carefully toted them around all day.

I've repotted both the Euphorbia trigona and the Kalanchoe copper spoons. The latter actually did have 4 plants; 2 larger, 1 a bit smaller and 1 very small. I need to get a larger pot for the Echevaria black prince. It's in a 4" square plastic pot right now and the pot is VERY full and has some weight to it. I'm debating as to whether I should repot it now or wait as it is getting ready to flower. Maybe I should wait until the flower is finished? Any harm in doing it now?

Thanks, Tyler

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

BPs are pretty tough. I doubt anything would happen if you repotted.

It's always best to be safe than sorry tho. So do what you feel best:).

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Winter look;)

Ugly dead yellow leaves:(.

That fall off and reveal what’s underneath. A very naked Alluaudia procera;).

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Euphorbia trigona 'Ruby' is the first plant I got after my interest in succulents and cactus was re-ignited a few weeks ago. I thought it was the coolest thing. Then I saw that they're pretty common. Is there a link to Kara's post? I'd be interested. I also got a cool 2.5" pot. And yes, it does have a drainage hole.

• aloebot
    6 years ago

Off topic; Tyler the SDCSS show and sale is Saturday 2/10/18. Come and bring a full wallet.(This is not an endorsement of any of the vendors) You won't be disappointed. On another note, does anyone see K. beharensis available any more? I see nice plants a little smaller than Kara's 2nd picture outside of movie theaters and malls. My one plant faded a couple years ago and I would like to start a new one.

Original Author
    6 years ago

YES! A week from Saturday. I’m planning on attending & hoping to find one nice interesting plant. Not looking for anything at the moment. Thanks for the reminder.

I’ve never been before and was wondering what a “full wallet” looks like. I’m sure the prices vary greatly depending on what it is. I was hoping to get away with spending...$40ish...?

Thoughts?

Tyler

• aloebot
    6 years ago

Tyler, you will have to be very disciplined to make it out $40ish. I would recommend you pick up plants you like (they disappear before you come back) but look all around the tables. I have found that sometimes 3 different vendors are selling the same plant and the prices and sizes will vary a lot. You can always return the 1st plant to its table if you find a bigger and cheaper one on another table. Another thing I learned is that there are common plants that look nice and there are rare plants that you may only find once in 5 years. I try to get the rare/hard to find plants and leave the nice looking common ones. You can always find them at a big box later. That is the only way to stay on budget. Well, there is one other way. Plan specific plants you will buy and stick to the plan. Ha ha, good luck with that.

SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B) thanked aloebot
  • Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I know this isn't my convo, but oh well;). Aloebot, I just wanted to say it's funny you said leave the nice looking common ones and go for the rare that you only come across every 5 years. When standing in line waiting to pay I always make new friends and check out what people are buying. I do see lots of people buy common plants, and I always want to say something like "Are you sure you want to buy that;)?Have you seen the other plants." I'm not knocking common plants because some of my fav plants are very common, but a show is where a person can go to find some really cool stuff. But I guess I should be happy people buy the more common because that leaves the less common for me to buy;).

Also there's always a vendor or two that I swear go to Home Depot and Lowes a couple weeks prior so they can buy gallon pots for $6 and then split those gallon pots up into thirds and sell those bits for $6;).

I wish I lived down there so I could meet up with some very cool people;).

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

I was just thinking about that--buying less common plants--yesterday (didn't I just say that in another thread--about miniature animals?). I went to Home Depot and was wowed by all of the pretty Echeverias--and bought some. But I was also disappointed that they didn't have any cactus or 'weird' stuff. Maybe it's arrogant, but I'm glad I was into this succulent plant stuff before it got popular. I want to continue with the less popular stuff and keep it as an esoteric type hobby. Last night I bought some weird cactus and succulent seeds. If I can't find them, maybe I'll grow them.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Growing by seed is fun. Maybe fun isn't the right word;). Plus you get to see the plant as a seedling which is interesting;). I'm still waiting to see what an Alluaudia procera looks like as a seedling. I can't even imagine what it could possibly look like!

Some of those big box stores have nice plants and every once in awhile you can find less common plants. I mean nothing like a Geohintonia, but if you look hard and get there at the right time you could find some impressive plants. The other day I bought a crested Aeonium 'Sunburst'. Not the most rare, but still nice and not an everyday find;).

Jeff, you asked about a link to a post. It's been awhile but if I remember correctly it was just someone asking for an id. It was nothing exciting;).

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

I like plants best grown from seed, or at least from cuttings. I'll have to take another trip to a big box store. I have a bad back and have a hard time walking and standing much (although I do some careful weight training), so I can't do it very often.

When I saw that Euphorbia Trigona (regarding the link to a post), I thought it was the coolest thing, and then was a little disappointed when I saw how common it is. But that shouldn't matter.

Alluaudia looks unique. I'd love to have one. I have some Mammilarias (that sounds like a disease) that just germinated and they're little round balls. I'd show photos, but I'm embarrassed of all of the green stuff on top of my mix.