Coconut trees

Hannah Thompson

I have an immature coconut fruit that I got from the Bahamas and wondered if I could grow a tree out of this? It looks like the picture.

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.(❀ ✿)

Sorry, I was clicking around and found and posted this and forgot where I found it.

Ah, try Coconut | Diseases and Pests, Description, Uses, Propagation - Coconut.

1 Like Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Is their a a palm forum here or a Florida forum that you could post on. Coconuts are not native to most of our areas so it is a bit off topic for most here.

1 Like Save    
sonni1(9b/10a)

I don't have much experience with propagating coconuts, but my brother in law (lives up north) wanted to grow one. I read that you should choose a coconut that when shaken sounds as if there is liquid inside. Getting it to sprout is apparently pretty easy, but takes time. Do an internet search to find out how deep/shallow to place the nut and how much water to give it. Coconuts do not like it cold - and cold to a coconut tree is about 40 F. They do well as houseplants.

Save    
albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.(❀ ✿)

wantonamara "Is their a palm forum here or a Florida forum that you could post on. Coconuts are not native to most of our areas so it is a bit off topic for most here. ... "

Palms and Cycads Forum - GardenWeb - forum is meant for the discussion of palms and cycads, plants belonging to the families Palmae and Cycadaceae.

Florida Gardening Forum - GardenWeb - Gardening in Florida

Save    
Karen Lopez

I think you will be able to, only roadblock is the climatic conditions. There are many guides online that will help you with this.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Green Decorating Go Cuckoo for Coconut Furniture and Surfaces
Crack open a lesser-known ecofriendly design option: tiles, flooring, tables and more made from coconut shell and palm wood
Full Story
Christmas Real vs. Fake: How to Choose the Right Christmas Tree
By Houzz
Pitting flexibility and ease against cost and the environment can leave anyone flummoxed. This Christmas tree breakdown can help
Full Story
Most Popular Houzzers Deck the Halls
From traditional to quirky to innovative, readers show their Christmas tree style
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More