SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indygo

Family archives organized! (I think.)

indygo
6 years ago

Just thought I'd let you all know that I spent the last three weeks obsessively going through the chaos of old family photos and papers that filled up an upstairs closet in my house. Thanks for all your suggestions! Things I learned in case anyone else is the inheritor of family archives:

1. It seems impossible at first, but luckily someone in every generation seems to start writing names on the backs of photos, so except for a few old tintypes I was able to sort these ancient pictures into family groups. From those clues, I could make educated guesses on most of the rest of them. I did that first.

2. I bought boxes from The Container Store and put old photos from my side of the family into two boxes, one for my mother's family members (going back generations) and one for my father's. I wrote the surnames on the outside of the boxes. I used separate boxes for interesting family papers, again keeping the same color for my side of the family. I got different colored boxes for my husband's side, and he's now sorting those photos. (Slowly!) I'm attaching a photo of the type of boxes.

In some cases I had to get a second box for one branch of the family because they saved more old photos than another one, but I kept the same color coding. I also ended up with a separate box for my nuclear family when I was a child, and I made a box for myself.

3. I didn't organize anything within the boxes themselves except now and then to put an interesting piece of paper (adoption papers, a letter the war department wrote saying a family member had died when he hadn't, etc.) in folders with a note telling the story.

4. I started a family tree on Ancestry and took photos of some of the oldest photos and uploaded them to the person's name.

5. I took photos out of frames because they were taking up way too much room. I'm donating the frames.

6. I disassembled scrapbooks since some of them were interesting but half empty and falling apart anyway. I was able to get the leaves from two or three related ones into the larger size boxes.

7. Our recent family photos are another story! Between the time our kids were born and their graduation from college we took thousands of photos. (Pre camera phones!) I tried to keep most of them, but they were in random photo albums. (I told my daughter I was going to be ruthless in winnowing them down, and she convinced me to keep them.) SO I didn't attempt to organize these either, but I threw away the bad ones and ones without people in them and got them into two plastic photo cases that hold probably 600 or so each.

Long story short, I have an organized family library and a lot of extra space!! I also learned to be more grateful for and thankful that I'm not a librarian or archivist! There are too many gray areas when you're setting up a classification system. Marriages and divorces are just one example!

And I feel like I've been on a long journey through history. Be prepared for a range of emotions! It will take me months to sort all of that out!!

Comments (16)