SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
searchingforahome

Is my ceiling deep enough for recessed lighting?

I want to install recessed lighting in my dining room and have some questions about the minimum ceiling depth required. Currently I have a sloped ceiling with exposed rafters and no attic space. I am planning to drywall over these rafters to make a solid ceiling, but first I will have to add 2x4's perpendicular to the rafters to support the drywall. I believe this will give me 7.5"-7.625" of space depending on whether I use 1/2" or 5/8" drywall (5.5" rafter + 1.5" for the 2x4 + drywall thickness). The options are limited for sloped recessed lighting housings and the most shallow sloped housing I can find is 7.25” deep. Can I use these housings in my situation? It is an insulation rated housing, so I’m not worried about leaving extra space for insulation. Assuming the housing sits flush with the outer edge of the drywall, I should have 1/4"-3/8" between the housing and the roof.

If this arrangement won't work, any other ideas of how to get adequate lighting in my dining room? I was planning to put a chandelier centered over the table and use some recessed lighting on the periphery.

Comment (1)