What's on top of your refrigerator?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (65)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
What do you love or hate about your refrigerator?
Comments (6)Thanks for the comments and the link refrigeratorexpert. I don't want anything in the door but that leaves me with only a few choices if I stay under 33". I went to Best Buy tonight. They had a 32" wide Samsung single door (RB195ABWP) but it had a hinged freezer and, as I suspected, the door kept blocking the drawers from pulling out so I eliminated that one. I did see a Samsung 33" wide FD model (RF217ABWP/XAA) that wasn't bad. It didn't have the split shelves or the wide pull-out tray at the bottom like the 36" wide models. That seemed like an interesting feature. My main concern was that the door bins in the 33" FD model are only 10" wide which isn't enough to hold two gallons of milk. There's another deep shelf in there but the narrower the shelf is, the less flexibility you have in what you can fit in there. I took all the internal measurements so I could compare it to my refrigerator at home. I was surprised that the freezer drawers didn't pull out as far as I expected. It seemed like it would be tough to access stuff in the back. I think I'm leaning toward getting a 36" wide unit (even though it would mean widening our fridge bump-out) just because there are a lot more options in the 36" width. I It's not a big deal to us, but it may be a benefit when we ever sell the house. Since we're replacing the cabinets, now's the time to mess with the wall, if ever. Surprisingly the estimated yearly energy cost was only a dollar more for the 36" unit so there wasn't a significant energy benefit to the smaller one. I didn't look at the LG units because there seemed to be a lot of complaints about them here. They had a 36" GE in SS that was kind of tempting. It was marked down $300. I saw it when I first got there and didn't look at it too hard because it was a 36" unit. I should have checked it out some more but it was 9:00 by the time I got done measuring the other models....See MoreIs Your FD Frig your ONLY refrigerator or Freezer
Comments (12)This is such a good question. My goals are an uncluttered fridge and freezer (but not so empty that they are less efficient, not that that would ever be a problem in our house), shopping once a week or less, and eating out as little as possible (family of 5, $!). We have a 25 cu ft side by side and really wouldn't go smaller at this point. Watching friends who lost power for extended periods after TS Irene made me glad we did not have any extra fridges or freezers in the basement. They had to throw out so much. On the other hand, watching my neighbor, who has an extra freezer stocked with a variety of dinner staples, and can always pull something out and get a relatively healthy dinner on the table in 30 minutes, even if she's had a crazy week and hasn't been to the store in forever, makes me appreciate the value of an extra freezer. I live less than 5 miles from a BJs and a Costco, and 1 mile from my grocery. If I had to drive further, the energy cost of frequent shopping trips would quickly justify a chest freezer in the basement. So I guess it just depends on your situation. If you watch european tv shows you might notice that their friges are much smaller on average. I remember watching As Time Goes By (a british sitcom). Judi Densch has an adorably English kitchen, and the fridge is an undercounter model, barely bigger than a dorm fridge, for a house with 4 adults. (Drop jaw) But I think it's more common in Europe to shop daily for fresh ingredients. That sounded nice to me, but when I had three kids under 5, FORGET IT! I know I'm meandering, but I'm just trying to say, there are a variety of approaches, and what you decide to do depends on your eating and shopping style, location, family size, etc. And don't even get me started if you hunt deer or butcher a calf every 6 months. It is complicated. Perhaps you could rent or borrow a chest freezer before commiting to owning one outright. Here is a link that might be useful:...See MoreDo you have stuff on top of your refrigerator?
Comments (53)One day many years ago, we went to a lady's home to pick out an anniversary cake for my in law's 50th wedding anniversary. She had her kitty litter pan on top of her refrigerator!!!!!! Now as to what is on top of my refrigerator is the same as what is on my tall freezer in my kitchen, empty large baskets and two baskets have great big stuffed chickens in them! Strange I know. Sue...See MoreRight now, what's on top of your refrigerator?
Comments (45)A couple of snake plants in ironstone pitchers in front. Along side is an old shallow bowl I sometimes put under plants when watering, so they can soak water from bottom, a stapler and tape dispenser, and a 3 hole punch. All old, at least 2nd generation. Even the plants came in a Welcome Baby planter. Baby is 51 y/o. And, yes, dust....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNStay Cool About Picking the Right Refrigerator
If all the options for refrigeration leave you hot under the collar, this guide to choosing a fridge and freezer will help you chill out
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEStorage Space Gem: Above the Refrigerator
Underutilized space above the refrigerator has valuable kitchen storage potential. These ideas for cabinets and more help you maximize it
Full Story
FUN HOUZZHouzz Call: What’s on Your Refrigerator?
Magnets, menus, children’s art, coupons, perfect-attendance certificates, song lyrics — what is fridge-worthy in your house?
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNSpotted: Refrigerators in the Bathroom
You read that right. Before you protest, here are seven good reasons why people are chilling in the bath
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNSee-Through Refrigerators Dare to Go Bare
Glass-front fridge doors put your food and drinks on display, for better or worse. See the benefits and disadvantages
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen Ideas: 12 Refrigerators in Disguise
Designs hide the fridge behind unexpected finishes and doors
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNSmall Luxuries: Wine Refrigerators Offer Handy Storage
No more tossing whites in the freezer at the last minute. Get the facts on wine coolers so you can just chill before guests arrive
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Everything Wants to Be a Cat
Coasters, bedding, decals, even a refrigerator cover ... these tasteful to over-the-top pieces let your cat-loving self run free
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNReaders' Choice: The Top 20 Kitchens of 2011
Get inspired by the 20 most popular kitchens on Houzz in 2011
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Ideas From This Year’s Top 20 Kitchen Tours
Smart storage, functionality for cooks and families, vintage touches and lots of personality mark your favorites of 2015
Full Story
Annie Deighnaugh