SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lduffy

Sun scald/sunburn on lace cap hydrangea? Bronze leaves; not burnt .

lduffy
6 years ago

I've had a shooting star hydrangea lace cap from Hana Bay Flowers since Christmas 2016. It was in a 4" pot for 6 months on my kitchen window sill. I repotted into a 10" pot with organic soil in June 2017, and set it out on my south facing potting table. Morning sun, afternoon shade. It sat out for 24 hours. The next day the top leaves were a weird, slightly faded, bronze color. The under leaves were fine. The soil was still very moist. I brought it back inside, and it sits in front of the south facing patio glass doors, where it does not complain. I'd like to return it outdoors, but thought maybe this is an indoor plant? Should I remove the bronzed leaves? Should I set it in a shady spot? I live in Southern California.

Comments (4)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Sunburn. In S. CA I would give it mostly shade regardless, but in this case you moved it from indoors to outside without a transition period. Even in a sunny window, the light is far less intense indoors than outdoors, so the recommendation is to bring outside into shade and then move into a bit more sun gradually over a couple of weeks to avoid sunburn.

lduffy thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • luis_pr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yeah, that is the sign of too much sun. The leaves in direct contact with the sun get sunburned and turn a shade of yellow/off white but the ones underneath remain dark green. I give them (the ones I have in the ground outside) shade starting at 11am (if possible).

lduffy thanked luis_pr
  • lduffy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

All I needed! You guys are great! Shade it is and gradual transition outside. THANK YOU Luis-pr and NHBabs. Shout out for your helpful comments! Very appreciated!

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

You're welcome. Also... I am not sure where you are but fyi... I too have Shooting Star and it is fickle for me winter-wise. It will "easily" loose flower buds during winter if the winter is mild and temps suddenly go below freezing for a day or more so be ready to winter protect it if lack of blooms becomes an issue in your hot SoCal location. Notice I said "if". Maybe in Zones 9-11 it will not be so temperamental.

lduffy thanked luis_pr