SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feinmaster

Brief review of newest Bosch induction range, HIIP055U

feinmaster
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Well, after years of researching and waiting, I splurged on the HIIP055U. It was installed yesterday and we are just getting introduced. I thought that I would post some immediate feedback for those considering the unit but will obviously need to update later as we get to know each other better.

-The major factors that tipped me in favor of this unit were the large FlexInduction range (which seems very useful as it can accommodate very large and very small items in that area), the small increment hob settings (19 or so) and the fact that the oven controls were vertical in front which allows for a larger cooktop (23 inches deep). I also like the timer for each element.

-The oven electronics fan is very quiet when used during normal cooking (up to 425 degrees). It is very loud and intense when you run the clean cycle which I would imagine is a good thing. I only started the clean cycle for a second to see that the door latch worked - it set off the high power fan action for at least 15 minutes and I was at first alarmed but then later reassured when it was apparent that it was only this loud for the clean cycle and not regular cooking.

-The cooktop barely makes any noise during cooking - no buzzing, popping or on/off cycling that I can tell.

-The touchpad controls on the cooktop and oven seem to be calibrated to the right sensitivity. Earlier reviews of the older Bosch unit suggested that touch controls were way too sensitive. It seems perfect to me for now- I really push the buttons for them to work.

-Preheating does take a little while (compared to my ancient oven), as predicted with the hidden baking elements in the bottom. It took 11 minutes to preheat to 350 degrees using the rapid preheat. I did buy a Breville counter oven for quick meals as I have young children who don't like to wait.

-It took 6 minutes to boil a HUGE pot of cold tap water - Wowsers! My old electric smooth top took almost 30 minutes to boil water.

-I bought a 5 year warranty which also includes up to 10 years on some major components through Ferguson.

-The oven features and menu are very intuitive and straightforward. Miele's computer board was intimidating (and expensive!).

That is all I can think of for now. I did tons of research with reams and reams of handwritten notes and graphs and pro/con lists. I am not certain that it would be very helpful to recap all of my decision process here but suffice to say I am thrilled with my purchase and hope the darn thing lasts a few years. Thank you to all the members on this forum who provided invaluable information and advice. Photos (second photo shows the front lip that may prevent range from being pushed all the way back but worked for me because my counters are only 25.25 inches deep):

Comments (117)

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have used the Bosch teppanyaki twice now for cooking French toast and it is totally awesome. We don't burn the French toast anymore and can cook five of them at once. It fits like a glove on the FlexInduction (as it should) and here is a photo:

• kazmom
    6 years ago
    Feinmaster - can you cook anything on it? Bacon, burgers, sandwiches, etc? I would think so but figured I would ask. If so it could be really handy!
  • Related Discussions

Bosch vs a Jenn Air induction cooktop. Or maybe Miele?

Q

Comments (20)
    We chose a JennAir 30” slide-in for our first induction range. We cook a lot and LOVE induction. However we have had too much trouble with the JennAir for the price. bought it in late 2018. The element burned out on the big oven (shortly before Thanksgicing during covid so we cooked our entire dinner in the Breville SmartOven Pro.) and took 3+ months to fix. The oven stopped heating properly a second time and this time it wasnt the element, it was the control board. $500 later, the iven works again but for how long. the service rep who did the repair said that both the board and element should last 9-10 years. more like 2-5. the top design also has a rubber gasket that collects food and, within 1 year, started breaking down. it is impossible to get the crumbs out. yuck No, I would not recommend the JennAir
    ...See More

HELP! HIIP054U Bosch Induction Range VERY LOUD

Q

Comments (44)
    from what I read, the short boost is just meant to warm up a pan quickly and then be off. seemed like a weird gimmick to me but if you figure it out - let me know! We just love love the range. My husband and I can't believe that we can cook food without burning everything in the pan - clean up is so much easier now. Honestly, almost any new range would have been a vast improvement from what we had, but the control on this induction is phenomenal and I am glad that i went with something that had more increments/degrees of control. Enjoy!
    ...See More

help choosing induction range

Q

Comments (12)
    @Janet Kohls, I have the 11" Zwilling Sensation skillet and love it but I think Sensation is discontinued. It's hard to find these days so troll eBay for good prices. It's a variant of Demeyere and can be had for less $$. Sur la Table also has a variant called Industry 5. These pans are great when you need even heating and would recommend the Demeyere 5-ply Plus or Proline (and their clones) for skillets and sauciers, though Proline are heavy. Ikea's Sensuell line is nice, too. I have an Ikea Sensual saucier that's wonderful to use but I don't see it on the site, anymore. cutleryandmore.com has sales pretty regularly with the 9.4" Proline skillet priced well right now. As an aside, I think that I paid $80 for my 11" Sensation. It's a step below Proline but was a fantastic bang for my buck. For searing, carbon steel is great. I'd spend money on the skillet and saucier. Go Ikea or similar for non-stick and stockpot. Just look for a clad bottom that has a thick layer of aluminum. Sitram Profiserie is excellent for saucepans/stock pot but they don't come with lids. Ikea 365 has a lot of fans, too. My favorite saucepan is labeled Masterclass and was a clearance deal at Home Goods. To sum it up, invest in a layered clad pan when you need even heating that extends up the sides and thick aluminum (magnetic) disc base for most other applications. Carbon steel responds very quickly and is great for searing/woking because it will heat up faster and more evenly than cast iron, on induction. It requires seasoning. I'm not one to buy sets except for dishes but I understand why some people prefer it. Check out this site for great info about cookware in general, along with induction- capable recommendations. https://www.centurylife.org/how-to-choose-cookware/#s3
    ...See More

GE CHS985 Induction Range

Q

Comments (1)
    Since these are new, I doubt you're going to find any reviews for a while. My first thought was that I wouldn't pay an extra $1000 to have knobs. Anecdotally, the some of the older models had some circuit board failures that took a while to resolve. Haven't heard much bad (or good) in a while. The oven seems to be just fine. Not much help, I know.
    ...See More
  • feinmaster
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sure. Cleans up easy too. the lip is about 3/4 inch high to keep in grease. I only cook bacon in the oven (SOOO much easier, 400 degrees for 16 minutes, viola!), but you certainly could do it.

• dlanoue
    6 years ago

I just bought a range Bosch HIIP055C. We have some questions about the cabinet requirements. Could anyone tell me the best measurements for the cabinet and counter for a perfect fit with the slide in range. Especially the width and the depth. Thank you

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Manual can be downloaded and shows specifications. I can tell you that mine fits perfectly and these are my dimensions (be aware of the front lip and stovetop has .75 inch overhang on each side over the counter, can see photo in original post at top):

25.25 inches deep (no need for spacer in back)

35.5 inches high (feet are adjustable, I think only goes as low as 35.5 inches)

about 30 1/8 wide opening

I did have my electrical outlet moved to the area specified in the manual. I thought that this would be best practice given it has a warming drawer.

Good luck!

• kazmom
    6 years ago
    Thanks Feinmaster. With the kitchen remodel starting soon I can't justify the cost today, but I am going to have to watch for a good deal on one!
  • lucas_tx_gw
    6 years ago

Hi All,

We have this range installed in place with temporary wooden countertops. We are about to get templated for permanent countertops and I thought I had seen some requirements that the granite be slightly rounded in the front where the little 'wings' on the top t of the range are located on the front but I can't find that in the install instructions.

Can anyone who has this range tell me if the corners of your granite needed to be rounded, or just completely straight on the sides?

Thanks!

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mine are completely straight but are exactly 25.25 inches deep and fits perfectly.

• Wes Gimbert
    6 years ago

I have a thermapen digital thermometer that I love because it is easy to use and has a very fast and accurate response. When used over the Bosh range, while operating, the thermometer freaks out when the tip is close to the bottom of the pan. It seems that the electromagnetic field is interfering with the thermometer. When the range is turned off, it works without issue. I contacted thermoworks, which is the US distributor for the thermometer. They noted that over "some" induction ranges this interference can occur. They recommend turning the range off, taking a measure, and then back on.

I tried this on and off method while making caramel. While waiting for the temperature on the thermometer to settle, while off the heat, the caramel lost a lot of heat.

I have also run into this issue while pan frying chicken, nothing better to gauge doneness than a thermometer. Again I had to take if off the heat, which is less of an issue, but still a hassle.

Has anyone else run into this issue with their range? Options are to go back to a glass tube thermometer for the caramel, and take off heat for other things.

Another option seems to be a commercial thermometer that claims to work over induction.

https://techinstrument.com/products/ic100k-inductive-cooking-digital-thermometer-with-probe?variant=1156186401

I have seen very little discussion about this on the web, but I love cooking with my thermometer and this is making it more difficult. In addition to looking for other's experience, I wanted to raise awareness of the issue.

Love every other thing about induction.

Thanks

• nightflyer
    6 years ago

I don't have any problem with my thermapen, but I did have problems with a digital candy thermometer which would fluctuate when trying to get a reading. I have used mine when making pudding, but I'm not positive that I've used it when making caramel -- which I usually do mostly by sight/smell once the temp starts getting close.

I don't know if the difference is because my thermapen is old (and so might be made differently than a newer one -- if yours is on the new side), or if my pans are just thicker on the bottom so they stop more of the magnetic field. I don't think that I put the thermapen too close to the bottom of my pots anyway -- more of at least an inch above the bottom of the pot in general, to try to average out heat rather than getting a falsely high reading by just registering the heat of the stuff right at the bottom of the pan. And when doing caramel, I'm pretty sure that I would lift the pan and tilt it to make all the stuff run to one side and be a thicker layer to register the temp.

Are you actually turning off the burner and then turning it back on? I would think just lifting the pan up a few inches for a second and then putting it back down would be sufficient.

• Kris Buell
    6 years ago

I have two questions for those who have purchased this stove that I have not been able to find discussed. First, since this range has the sides that go over the counter top edges, will this fit over a counter with the slightly raised edge bullnose no-drip style counter? I also wondered how many pots you can place in the zone less area at one time. Thanks, this thread has been wonderfully informative and convinced me to up my budget a smidge for this unit, if it will work with my counters.

• nightflyer
    6 years ago

It really depends on what you want to do with the FlexInduction area, I think. The best way to think of it is two separate zones that can potentially be linked just to act like a single bigger zone. The common use is either one pot on each zone, or linking the zones to have one bigger pot that takes up both zones. Having said that, I doubt that the sensors really can tell whether you have 2 small pots in the area or one medium one in each half, so if you're OK with multiple pots sharing the same power amount and they'll both fit, then that would probably work.

There is the weird "power move" function whose purpose is to let you use the whole FlexInduction zone for one pot, and it divides the FlexInduction into three zones with different power levels -- more power towards the front of the stove, less power towards the rear of the stove. I've never used that, as I think it's a gimmick, and I'd rather adjust the power rather than move the pot forward or back on the stove. However, it might be possible to put three pots on the FlexInduction area with each getting a different amount of power -- or the FlexInduction might just say "oops, I only expect one pot". Not sure about that, and I certainly don't think it's flexible enough to actually work well (i.e. you're unlikely to want exactly the powers available in each high/middle/low area exactly as they are set).

I can't help you with the no-drip counter. We do have a no-drip counter, but our counters were so low that we had to add spacers to "support" the overhanging part of the cooktop.

• Kris Buell
    6 years ago

Thanks for the info on the flexzone. What did you use for spacers for the counter? I wondered if that would work to just raise it with the feet enough to clear that little lip, but was stumped on how to make up that little gap the rest of the counter depth, so it won’t collect crumbs and such.

• nightflyer
    6 years ago

Our counters are about an inch too low relative to the stove, so we just got some pieces of wood, painted them enamel black, and have them between the stove and the counter. Being black, they basically blend in with the cook top, so while they are visible, they don't really stand out at all.

• belgiantex
    6 years ago

Can somebody post a picture with a measuring tap on the actual depth of the glass cooktop cooking surface ? Not the entire stove depth, just the cooking surface. My current cooktop is exactly 21" and from the OP I think the Bosch is 23". Those would indeed be a welcome 2" additional depth of cooking surface. We have a large family and my larger pots tend to be a bit of a squeeze.

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It is 22 5/8 inches, but there is room for certain pots to overhang in the back over the vent. The ability to fit large pots is based on the arrangement and I was truly surprised by how I was able to fit all my big pots as described and photographed in an earlier post. Good luck! Still love the machine. Only negative I can find is the oven takes an incredible amount of time to preheat, as all ovens with a buried bottom element. Problem is solved by having the Breville countertop oven. We still love love the Bosch.

• nightflyer
    6 years ago

Feinmaster: have you tried the "fast preheat" button? I didn't notice it for the longest time. It still won't come close to the countertop oven for preheat speed, but I have noticed a difference once I started using that.

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Fast preheat helps a little but I just love the countertop oven for most things that I use that most of the time (less time and energy!). I did get to fill up my oven for Xmas dinner and it was awesome - very large capacity with the three racks and baked it all very well using the convection fan. I also used the countertop oven and we had a feast!

• belgiantex
    6 years ago

Thanks Feinmaster !

• kazmom
    6 years ago

Help guys! Our stovetop won’t turn on. Nothing at all. The oven works fine, but the stovetop won’t turn on at all. I turned off the breaker and turned it back on, the stovetop all lite up when the power came back on, then it went off and won’t turn on. I can’t find anything in the manual. Any ideas??

• nightflyer
    6 years ago

No info from me. Our cooktop has refused to turn on a couple of times. But resetting the breaker has always cleared it up.

• kazmom
    6 years ago
    We turned the breaker off and back on and nothing happened, so I left it off for 30 minutes and it is now working. Hope that doesn’t happen often!
  • cyc2001
    6 years ago

Thanks for keeping this thread updated based on your experiences - I’ve got my eye on this stove and hope to buy it when my 12 year-old Bosch gas range dies.

• kazmom
    6 years ago

Very frustrated tonight. Our range top is now consistently not working. It will work for a day then stop responding, I turn the breaker off, wait, turn it back on and it works for a day or two and stops again. Tonight it didn’t work, we went through the routine and it worked long enough to pop popcorn but immediately after I tried to boil water and it wouldn’t respond. The oven works perfectly, it is just the stovetop. I already have a repair set up for Tuesday, hopefully it is an easy fix. Still disappointing as we have only had it about 4 or 5 months. And, as luck would have it, our water heater died tonight!!! I will have to buy the new water heater, at least the stove repair should be free!

• cyc2001
    6 years ago

Strob06, I’m sorry to hear about the issues you’re having - that is so frustrating! Good luck with the repair and please keep sharing updates.

• kazmom
    6 years ago

Repair person came and said the control panel under the cooktop is shot. New one will be in next week. Biggest concern is his comment “I’ve never even seen the inside of one of these, good luck to whoever gets the trip”. This is the inhouse repair for a well established large store that sells low and high end appliances, but we are in a 95% gas area so......

• cyc2001
    6 years ago

I hope they can fix it when they come back next week.

• kazmom
    6 years ago

So. They came back yesterday and did indeed fix the control panel, however as he was putting it back together he broke the glass top. :( so another week and a half for that to come in. He felt really bad so it was hard to get too upset. He did say we could use it carefully, but we aren’t. I am too scared of a spill or boil over and water getting in the crack and ruining our new panel. I bought a stand alone induction burner off Amazon to get us through. Our remodel starts in about 6 weeks (YAY) and we can use it through that.

• cyc2001
    6 years ago

Oh jeez! Hope this is fully resolved for you soon.

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any updates strob06?

• kazmom
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Sorry to leave everyone hanging. This isn’t our lucky stove. ... :-(

They came back and put a new top on it and it worked great! Then May 1 it got moved out of the kitchen so that we could start our remodel. Can you hear the “something bad is coming” music??? It was reinstalled Thursday but we were going out of town so today was the first day to try and use it... and the cooktop won’t turn on. I am sick about it because I am afraid that Bosch and Abt (who we bought it from and who holds the extended warranty) will say it is damage from moving and storing it and won’t cover it under warranty. I am hoping that the fact the part didn’t work before will give us some credibility, but the fact it is a new board and top may work against us. I don’t know. I checked it where they stored it and there was nothing set on top of it. And our GC is very meticulous and careful, so honestly if it broke from moving it then I would say it is too fragile. Just don’t look forward to dealing with the whole thing. Hope everyone else is having better luck with theirs.

When we bought the appliances about a year ago now we got 2 Bosch (range and DW) and 1 GE (fridge). Everything has had to have a repair so far. VERY frustrating!

• pslawing
    5 years ago

feinmaster, could you comment on the bosch griddle you purchased. Is the worth it? Just got my 30" benchmark induction, learning to use it!

• pslawing
    5 years ago

Can anyone tell me the difference in Speed Boost and Short Boost?

• kazmom
    5 years ago

Thought I would report back that we found the issue with the cooktop and it was NOT the Range! We realized a day or so after I posted that the while the oven would turn on it wouldn’t heat. The GC came and tested the circuit and found that it had the right voltage but he had to jiggle the wires in the plug to get it to read. When he plugged it in and moved the plug around the stovetop came on. Bad outlet! He had the electrician come back and change it out and it works! False alarm. SO glad!! Thanks

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    5 years ago

pslawing - we love the Bosch griddle. does an amazing job with pancakes and grilled cheese sandwiches and French toast and the griddle allows you to cook many at once. Induction technology is so great for this type of cooking. Is it worth it? that is a relative term, especially given that it is rather pricey. It is definitely worth it to us and is clearly a well made item. It allows us to get the most of an already very expensive machine. If you do get it, I suggest using only Pam on it. Margarine or butter burns on it and is nearly impossible to get off. Bar Keeper's Friend and a good soft scrub sponge work very well for getting it clean but barely any cleaning is required when using Pam. Enjoy your new machine!

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    5 years ago

pslawing - I searched online and got the Bosch griddle 20% off on an online site. can't remember which one but worth searching for best deal out there.

• pslawing
    5 years ago

Feinmaster! Thanks so much!! I just ordered!!!! And had another coupon code for registering my cooktop. So got quite a bit off, so didn't sting as bad! I looked all day for a griddle that "fit" the flex area. I think it will be good! Thank you for the advice!! My husband installed my cooktop today. I am AMAZED at the speed. Still learning! This post is good for tips!

• dlanoue
    5 years ago

I have a problem with the warming drawer, I can't open it. I push and it opens only of 1'' . Is anyone have a solution or a tip of what it is wrong? Thank you!

• steph cran
    5 years ago

Yes. It is a bad glide. You need to call for a repair.

• dlanoue
    5 years ago

The repairman came and fixed it. Now, it's the flex zone who doesn't work. I was cooking on it and I heard a big noise and the flex zone stopped and a "E" appears on the control panel. The error code is 32. Does anyone know anything about this? I called for a repair but I am curious to see if this situation happened to someone else?

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Try rebooting it by turning power on and off at the main circuit. I have not gotten that error message but on very rare occasions the cooktop seems to freeze. If it was a computer you would press cont/alt/del but since it does not have that button we turn power on/off. this happens once every several months so we have not called repair guy out for this. I think that it is the downfall of all electronic equipment - all of them have mini-computers inside....

• dlanoue
    5 years ago

I already tried this, I turned the breaker off and on. No changes! Hope it's only that and the repairman can fix it. We have the stove since end of April and it is our third call of service!!

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh my! That is disheartening. I hope they can fix it for you.

• JEFF HARADEN
    3 years ago

I have 2 of these Bosch stoves and both have constant problems with the stove top touch pads not working!You have to reset them with turning the breaker off to reset them .

I had my home one fixed after 6months and it is again not working again

.My 2nd 1 is at my summer home and it is now doing the same.Of course now they are out of warranty and my dealer Earl B Feiden in Albany is not going to bat for me with Bosch.

• kazmom
    3 years ago

We had some issues early on with ours with the touch pad not working. At first it just took a lot of effort (pressing) but then it stopped working completely. We were able to get it fixed under warranty and haven’t had any issues since.

• nightflyer
    3 years ago

We also had some problems with our touch pads not working for the stovetop. After they replaced some of the circuits boards, we haven’t had any more issues. I’m glad I got the extended warranty from our dealer.

• Kate
    3 years ago

I have a 5 year old Bosch induction cooktop and have never had a problem. My only complaint is that I can’t always tell if I’m actually on the burner.

• pslawing
    3 years ago

Don’t know why the manufacturers of these induction cooktops don’t put a more visible location of the burners. The designers must not use them

• feinmaster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think that I have gotten used to the location of the burners myself. We had an electronic board replaced under extended warranty (a few months past one year) and have had no problems since. Still love it in about every way. Hoping the electronics hold up - hard to buy anything these days without one (fortunately bought my SpeedQueen washer before they put in electronic boards on all their units).

• theresa21
    2 years ago

Just want to add that the wings on the front of the Bosch range no longer exist on newer models. I was concerned about those wings when I purchased my range, because I thought it would decrease flexibility in how deep you could push in your range. My range is pushed in just enough to allow the front edge of the glass cooktop to sit a smudge back from the front edge of the countertop.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County