SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greg_locke

Should I trust this contractor?

Greg Locke
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Im trying to find someone to install patio pavers, and it's been an ongoing saga.

The guys with the best reputation that are the most highly recommended are booked solid till early fall.

For most others I am outside the area that they service.

I found one guy local who will do it. I met him, and while he seems nice and sounds like he knows what he's talking about, I have the following reservations..

1) His website is through Homeadvisors.com. 28 reviews there over 3 years all of which are 5 star. A half dozen of the reviews were posted the same day (presumably the day he opened his account).

2) His Facebook is largely inactive, has no reviews. He has some pictures up, but it's not clear to me if they are photos of his hardscaping jobs or his landscaping jobs. The one photo of a walkway he has up, looks a little off to me, though I guess maybe the camera is crooked and it's not really leaning to the right:

14183770_248953708832022_1862009244909651636_n.jpg

3) he's only able to give me one reference...a guy "he's done work for for years" who is "expecting my call"

Now, in fairness...

1) I did call the local paver supply place where he does business, and they said he buys from them a lot, and they have had no complaints.

2) Terms are half up front, half upon completion, so if Im not happy I have insurance.

3) how bad can someone (who isn't me) screw up a paver install??

Comments (6)