SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jondoe88892

Honda GCV160 dies after 3-5 min.

jj Do
6 years ago

Mower is on its 2nd season. It gets a lot of use in the wet Atlanta spring, and little in the dry, hot summer. (variable speed, auto choke, electric start). I used to be a mechanic, and don't see any obvious signs. I drained the tank (the line to the shutoff valve was fine) and bought new gas, checked the oil, installed new air filter and plug (which looked fine, as does the new one).
I've used the mower maybe a dozen times this year, with no problems. Now - problem! Of course this is after a few weeks of rain, so the grass is high.
I didn't expect the plug to be bad, but for $5, it was a worthy try. Same with the gas.
Any ideas? It starts fine, but hunts for speed, misses, and slowly peters out.
I haven't checked the hose to the carb yet, but assume if it was constricted, it wouldn't run that long.
Maybe the choke? I don't think it's fuel, and wonder if the spark is failing, when the motor heats up?
Any ideas? Except for the choke, I'm running out of easy fixes.
Thanks!
My last Honda lasted 20 trouble-free years, and would have lasted longer - if I hadn't ruined the transmission mulching bags of leaves... I passed it on to a friend with a level yard. And a son.

Comments (16)