SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Forum newbie Interested in growing Hippeastrums better...

Hi there, this is not my usual forum (adeniums and cacti/succs are my normal haunt!) For quite some time now I've always had at least one bulb, now I seem to have acquired several as gifts etc. I've been keeping them indoors year round either in the house when in flower or in the g/h when not. I've never considered them tough enough to withstand the UK summer weather, especially in my rural open aspect garden which gets battered by wind and rain. I've read conflicting advise on how to grow them successfully and would like to ask the experts here for guidance on good cultural methods. What kind of soil mix and NPK ratio food is preferred? When exactly to feed, dry off, start back into growth mode....do you even let them go dormant?

Currently I have my reliable Apple Blossom in flower once again. In leaf I have Red Lion, a mystery orange whose name I don't recall, and some other mystery bulbs from offsets of larger ones. Whether they are the AB, RL or orange types I don't know! I should have been carefull and labelled them properly like all my other plants, but these have escaped my usual method for some reason! I also am growing on some reds from seeds kindly sent to me by Geoff aka ( hippiezep ) last year I think it was. Here's my four bloom Apple Blossom, one still to open at the moment....

Gill

Comments (13)

Sponsored
More Discussions