SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrylaneus

Komodo Hosta versus Princess Wu

countrylaneus
6 years ago

Planted my Komodo 9 months ago as a small pot. It is now 5 foot 3 inches long x 3 feet tall. Princess Wu a few feet away was planted 4 years ago. it is now 1 foot tall x 1 1/2 foot long. Planted 2nd and 3rd Komodos 1 month ago as small pots, they are already about 2 feet tall. Just an FYI in case anyone is looking for a very large hosta. And of course every garden is different :) 1st photo is Komodo 2nd is Princess Wu

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

its komodo dragon for the name ...

in 35 years of hosta.ing ... ive never seen a one gal small pot.. go to 5 feet ... inside one year ...

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

boy.. that sounded cranky .. let me rephrase it slightly ...

first.. welcome to the forum ... stick around and you will shortly have 500 more hosta.. lol ... and no duplicates ... we are good enablers ...

that is rather astounding growth rates ...

just a slight rewording.. lol...

ken

my komodo dragon .. your seems awful yellow ... and does it have the ruffled edge???

• Ken Zone 5 SE Idaho
    6 years ago

Komodo is beautiful. I'm not sure I'm impressed with my empress wu. I planted it two years ago and it's grown from one pip to 5 and is about 2 feet tall. My issue is that it always looks quite chlorotic - dark veins on lighter leaf blade - not that appealing. Haven't seen others. Does it have a lot to offer other than size?. Might move mine to see if it does better elsewhere.

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    6 years ago

My Empress Wu had 9 pips this years and it is huge (6th year). Not sure whether I want it to add a lot or it will take over my garden.

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    6 years ago

My EW post from earlier this Spring.

Wu on the bank

Dave

• ninamarie
    6 years ago

Of the two, I think Komodo Dragon is a showier and better hosta. But Wu is a deep dark blue-green and holds its colour well. Hartogen, I would suggest you have an issue either with soil or drainage if your Wu is chlorotic.

I have been growing Lakeside Black Satin for several years now and it's colour has been nearer chartreuse than deep green. The veins stood out. I dug it up, replanted it in the same place, and it continued it's measly growth rate and show. But about a month ago, I dug it out, put it in a large pot and suddenly remember why I had wanted this hosta.

• almosthooked zone5
    6 years ago

Did I miss something? Is princess Wu different then Empress Wu?

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    6 years ago

countrylane, post a picture of what you call "Princess Wu" that's a little closer and provide something for scale, so we can get a better look at it. From the number of shoots I think I see I have serious doubts it is 'Empress Wu' and as Faye pointed out, Princess Wu is a new one to us.

Pieter

• ninamarie
    6 years ago

I'm sorry. I just assumed that Princess Wu was a mistake and the poster meant Empress Wu. What can I say? I get all the royalty mixed up.

• Ken Zone 5 SE Idaho
    6 years ago

Well I stopped today to pick up a Komodo dragon from one of my favorite nurseries and they didn't have one. Ended up with an August moon and a whirlwind though!

• Ken Zone 5 SE Idaho
    6 years ago

Thanks almost hooked! Appreciate the pictures! Heading back to the big city Tuesday and will check at hosta house and see if they have a Komodo dragon. Hope so! Your plants are beautiful!

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    6 years ago

Saw a Jurassic Park for sale recently. How does that one compare to these two?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES