SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gorbelly

Will covering plants help with herbicide drift?

6 years ago

I haven't had any problems with neighbors using herbicide inappropriately in recent years, but this year, my neighbor cleared some trees and is now having their gardener spray herbicide with abandon to keep the weeds in check while they try to grow a lawn.

Long story short, this neighbor is a class A *bleep*--just a really nasty person. On top of what I assume to be a congenital nastiness, she's also a racist and is totally rude to all the people in the neighborhood who aren't white, which includes me. I'm pretty sure that, after I had a polite word with her about the herbicide problem, it just made her more determined to spray it. She's that sort of hopeless. Unfortunately, it's not just me but also the other neighbors' plants that will suffer.

Luckily for me, the gardener is a nice man, and I asked him to please tell me in advance if he was being asked to spray weed killer so that I could try to cover up some of my plants on the half of my property next to theirs. He agreed because he understands that the neighbor is an unreasonable *bleep*.

Also fortunately for me, most of my tomatoes and peppers on that side of the yard are in containers.

The question is: will it do me any good? He's spraying right now, and I've covered the plants I could cover with jumbo trash bags. Some of the plants growing in-ground I've had to cross my fingers and hope for the best with, but those are not too close to the property line.

The issue is, it's a breezy, dry, sunny day--the worst kind of day for herbicide drift. Seeing as there's not much I can do legally about anything she has done on her property, I just want to know whether it's effective for me to try to cover my plants.

I wish there was something I could do for the neighbors, who may have sensitive ornamentals they don't want killed or injured, but I don't think I can do anything without making it seem like I'm trying to harass the *bleep* neighbor.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022