SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniedhs_7_tn

Herbicide drift

Jennie Sims
12 years ago

I am so upset! After not growing my own tomatoes last summer due to a move in the middle of the summer and a miserable growing season the year before, I was so excited to have eleven healthy plants in the ground late April. Most are varieties I have never grown that I got from Craig Lehoullier, including three from his dwarf tomato project. They were doing exceptionally well, growing by leaps and bounds with buds on most plants. Last week I noticed my Lucky Cross had severe leaf curl on the top three branches. This week my German Strawberry Heart showed the same symptoms only worse. On the top three branches the leaves were severely curled and very withered looking. And then it came to me. My neighbors landscape maintenance crew is spraying weeds right on the other side of my 6 foot privacy fence! I called the company and asked them very nicely to not spray the beds on the other side of the fence. They suggested the leaf curl was probably due to the colder weather and the ungodly amount of rain. I told them that could be a possible answer, but more likely herbicide drift as only the top three branches were effected and kindly asked them again, as a precaution, to not spray in the beds on the other side of the fence. She said she would inform the crew. They are here again today. Keeping my fingers crossed they don't ignore my request. The Lucky Cross seems to be pulling out of it, but I think the German Strawberry is questionable. With only eleven plants this year, I would be devastated to lose even one to a lawn maintenance company! Just needed to vent....now to go speak with the crew directly.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction