SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee1008

W&R Weigela & Velvet Boxwood - Bindweed Problems?

Dee
6 years ago

I tried to post this earlier, but for some reason it didn't go through. I will try to make it shorter than my previous attempt. This is my first time on the site and I am very much a beginning gardener, though I've had excellent success with houseplants.

My problem: I have read on here that W&R can look worse for wear at first. My W&R are drying out and burnt looking (bottom leaves & stems). They are planted in a south-facing garden bed with mulch on top of weed prevention paper. FYI, we ripped up everything that was there before and prepped the soil for these garden beds. There is full-sun during the day with nice shade in the later afternoon. I follow the watering directions. My boxwood are there, too, as well as some petunias for some color. Boxwood looks great - petunias are not bad either.

I noticed that off to the side in a rock garden I've got what I identified as bindweed and it's creeping around and making its way up through the mulch at the very front and very back of the garden bed. I do plan to spray with weed killer once it stops raining this weekend, but my research has said it's difficult to get rid of bindweed. We rent, and were told that we could replant whatever we wanted. From what I've read about bindweed, it's super hard to kill and its roots can go down pretty far. I don't want to spend a fortune on this, especially since we rent, and I don't know exactly what else to do.

Will the bindweed choke out my W&R and boxwood? Is that maybe part of the cause for my W&R looking so weak? Is it even possible for me to do something like train the bindweed on a trellis in the rock garden and hope it will grow in the opposite direction of my flower bed? Help, please. :(

Comments (11)