SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_rice56

Help with our dark/mismatched house

Michelle R.
6 years ago

We just bought this 1917 tudor home (none of the furniture pictured is ours).

Now that we are in it, I have a few design dilemmas. We are having a painter come in and paint the whole house in a few weeks. I'm having a tough time deciding how to lighten it up.

Paint: I don't think we are going to paint the trim (that's a no-no, right? and besides, I feel like the stone fireplace would stick out like a sore thumb if we did that). The ceiling and walls have to be the same color because there is no separation between the wall and the ceiling in the living room--we have stucco walls. Our painter only works with Benjamin Moore and I don't want to do white--I feel like it is too stark of a difference. Revere Pewter feels too dark, so I was thinking Edgecomb Gray. Anyone have dark trim homes that can share some advice?

Furniture/Other: We have a charcoal sectional that I love and I can't give up. Maybe lighter rug/curtains will lighten it up? Get rid of that ceiling fan? For the office/dining room, we are moving from a tiny downtown condo, so we don't have furniture yet. Should we go dark tones to match the vibe of the house? Doesn't seem like lighter wood/white or other kinds of furniture will really match.

Kitchen: I think the prior owner really liked green and a more country cottage style by the looks of the kitchen/dinette. To me, it totally looks mismatched from the rest of the house! The floors match but nothing else really does. Do we paint the trim white, even though it will still be mismatched? We plan on redoing the kitchen in a year or two, so maybe just leave it alone until then?

As you can tell, I am totally overwhelmed. Ha! Thanks!

Comments (2)