SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryjay

Newbie having trouble with hydrangeas- pics included

Rosey
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

I recently started gardening and picked up two hydrangeas about 2 months ago. I live in zone 4a and have a Blushing Bride and a Bloomstruck. Initially I planted them both on a fairly shady side of my house that gets some late afternoon sun. The blushing bride has been doing ok in that location but the bloomstruck seemed really unhappy. I moved it to an area that gets more sun after about 3-4 weeks. The area that I moved it to is partially under a spruce tree and gets sun in the morning to probably mid-afternoon. I'm worried it may be getting too much sun though but think it would probably die if I moved it again.

It is getting new flowers but the leaves are crispy and curling in some areas and the flowers die quickly. At the same time, some of the leaves look healthy. I'm really feeling discouraged. I'm not sure if it's not getting enough water, too much water, if it may have root rot. I'm really just holding out to the fall and crossing my fingers that it will make it.

I've noticed in the past few days that the blushing bride has gotten only one flower since we got it and the existing flowers are turning green. The leaves seem very healthy though. Is this due to too little sun?

If anyone can look at the pictures of either hydrangea and offer some advice as to their needs, that would be great. Thanks so much!

Comments (6)