SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

OT: seeing again and again

It has been so hot here lately, making the outdoors, where ordinarily I spend much of my time, best avoided, that yesterday I went on a day trip to Parma, the next city over from our provincial capital of Piacenza. Parma has a good art museum and some very fine churches, viewing them providing my main amusement. So I saw the well-known Renaissance Chiesa della Steccata, looking actually a bit over-stuffed to my eyes, then sat for a while in a Baroque one that was very pleasant, even if its cheerful frescoes weren't of the very first order, and last, before heading over to the art museum, I popped into the "Duomo", the cathedral. I must somehow never have visited it before, because when I saw the interior my head nearly exploded. It's an amazing church. The original building is Romanesque, and the frescoes in the dome are by Correggio, and there's much, much more, but I can't offer any details because images are whirling in my head as if I had made a brief journey into Paradise, had a look around, and then come home again. It's all confused. I spent about an hour there, and in that time wasn't able even to get a decent first look at everything worth looking at. It will take many, many visits before I can start to get some kind of idea of what I'm seeing.

So what this is all about is the importance, not only of seeing things, but of seeing them many times. Happy is the art-loving mortal who gets to visit the Prado or the Kunsthistorisches Museum or the National Gallery and spend a day there. Hugely happier is he or she who can return over and over, for days or years, to study, feel, a way into the richness of the works, and learn to be at home in place where they live. This is true for books, which I re-read, I imagine it's true for music, and--here this gets relevant to a forum on old roses--it applies to the natural world and to gardens.

If a visitor sees a garden once, they can see something beautiful and noteworthy, but if they see it repeatedly they have a different experience. The second, third, tenth time I walk through a meadow or stretch of woods, I notice plants and aspects and details of plants I didn't before. It takes time to absorb things. This is aside from seasonal change, which demands time as well, and is aside from the element of expectation, almost entirely confined to the gardener, who hangs reverently over buds and shoots while the visitor wants full bloom.

Comments (5)