SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nushelu

Watermelons and muskmelons in SW Idaho

Mokinu
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone! :)

I'm growing lots of watermelon, this year (about 50 kinds), and I'm wondering who else is or has grown it in the high desert or steppes of Idaho, too. If you're from a colder, or wetter part of Idaho, I don't mind if you chime in, though.

What varieties have done the best for you? What part of Idaho are you in?

Anyway, this year, I'm still waiting on fruit, of course, but Yellow Doll F1 and Ancient are growing the most vigorously. I suspect that some of the currently less vigorous ones, like Navajo Red and my plants grown from saved seeds, will do fairly to very well. In the past, I've had good results with the following varieties:

* Red-seeded Citron

* Sugar Baby

* Verona (earlier than most, and bigger than Sugar Baby)

* Ledmon (on my second year, from saved seeds—the first year, from store-bought seeds, it was much smaller and had more issues; the second-year version was possibly a cross)

* An unknown yellow kind with loose (as opposed to crisp) flesh that smelled like pumpkins do.

Anyway, there are challenges to growing watermelon in my garden, and climate (to some degree), especially because of the compact soil, cool nights, dry air and the spider mites. So, that's why I'm listing varieties that do particularly well (in case it helps someone else with similar conditions).

Cantaloupes and other muskmelons are easier in a lot of ways, though (as long as they get plenty of potassium; I find that muskmelons improve with lots of potassium and basalt rockdust). I'm growing a lot of those, too (but more watermelons). In the past, the ones that have done the best include the following

* An unknown standard-looking, netted variety. It was very prolific and tasty.

* Ginger's Pride x Ha'Ogen F1, which had quite large fruits and was very prolific. The taste was a bit like bananas.

* Swan Lake honeydew, which was prolific and tasty.

We'll see what this year brings for the muskmelons.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES