SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

'Barbara Ann' - to avoid the "drawstring" effect

josephines167 z5 ON Canada
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This lovely hosta is listed as one of those that suffers from the drawstring effect, a fact I learned about after I purchased it. The center of the leaves grow at a much faster rate than the margin causing the edges to curl in, and under, and tear. Its amazing blue colour is outstanding in that it doesn't change during the summer.

I looked upon the less-than-desirable drawstring quality as a challenge and set out to see if I could thwart the leaves' efforts to pull in on themselves.

Success! The secret is.... dry semi-shade! It curbs the rate of growth of the plant just enough to allow for even growth...or so it seems to me.

I planted her under the deck, close to the house wall where it barely gets supplemental water. Rain seeps to a degree through the floorboards and during the hottest months of summer with sporadic rainfall, I do have to occasionally water those hostas in that dry, no-drip line right next to the wall. It receives morning sunlight then shade for the rest of the day.

Here is 'Barbara Ann' in 2014, potted

It is very sunny at the moment but I'll try to get a close-up of the leaves. Looks like I have to gently manipulate some of the leaves into a cupped position to avoid tearing. One leaf (left) is pulling downward a bit. May also need some water. That blue with some celadon streaks here and there is really eye-catching.

Anyone have a more mature BA? How is it growing for you?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting