SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosa_rugosa

In a pickle

6 years ago

I have a bit of an unfortunate situation with the door and window trim. Some background info. I diligently researched the issue, read the theory, did calculations, analyzed historical precedents, ordered samples, visualized everything. Came up with the plan of what trim goes where - fancier in front rooms (casings with back band), plainer in back rooms (beaded casing or even plain boards), adjusting sizes and everything accordingly. I discussed everything with the builder (custom home, custom trim). I printed an excel table with all the info for each room. Then I also wrote out instructions for each room and put it into each room. When the work got started one door in the laundry room immediately got wrong trim - it was supposed to be 4.5" beaded casing, no back band but got back band by mistake. I caught it. Then I walked with carpenters and went over everything verbally. All clear.

Well, the carpenter just LOVES casings with back band. Wants to put it everywhere. I explain that there is rhyme and reason to hierarchy of trim - front rooms, back rooms. I do not go into details of also some variety. Then there is also cost issue of custom trim. Clear? Yes. Then the pressure starts - oh but back band is so pretty. Then the builder does a trick - he says that back band is necessary to support wider sill (my window sill or bottom stool is wider than most common ones, but not in all rooms but front rooms, and some secondary rooms, but not all). I acknowledge that if it is a structural issue, then we have no option. Builder further pressed the issue of back band everywhere. We obviously are facing ordering more back band as my original calculations did not include the whole house. Then I clearly indicate that it throws my original plan out of whack as utility rooms wind up with over-sized out of proportion trim that is also bigger than front rooms. I do not get any proper acknowledgement of the issue and the build along with my husband just run with the idea of back band everywhere.

Now that the first floor trim is complete, we have an absurdity. Wider very prominent jazzed up trim in mudroom, laundry, mini-hall. Then you walk into a fairly fancy (still in the future) kitchen with shrimp of a trim. Second floor is not complete but again, bedrooms there will have trim much more modest than utility rooms.

I am boiling mad and suggest that we might as well rip the trim in front rooms and crown mould the closets. My husband now acknowledges that this would be absurd - the Aha! moment. It is already absurd. Why not take it to a logical crescendo?

What does the venerable (and more cool-headed) community of home builders suggest? Is it true that back band is critical to bottom stool (window sill) support - the trick done to coerce me into agreeing to originally aesthetic preference of the men involved (carpenter, builder, husband)? If it is a structural issue, do I make them rip the utility room trim and narrow the casings and adjust the length of bottom stools?

Feeling disheartened.

Comments (30)

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would get them to do what you want, and explain again that it is based on a historical home building precedent where different trim levels were used in different rooms, and it is not based upon some strange whim that you have.

I would take things out that you don't like and get it replaced. You may have to come to some agreement and pay for some of it because technically it sounds like you agreed to some of the change. But I would not leave it because it's going to make you mad every time you look at it.

It's difficult, particularly when you work with people who have good technical skills, because often their own personal esthetic is really awful. I have had people work for me who are capable of doing really beautiful stuff, but some of the things they would do left to their own devices is appalling.

I will give you a couple examples: in my old apartment I designed an architectural element that is like the wood-paneled core of Mies van der Rohe's Farnsworth House. Very minimal, and seamless, "floated" an inch off the floor.

One contractor thought it would be really cool that instead of being sheathed in slip matched veneers, to have someone come in and faux paint it so it looked like a gigantic block of marble. Another asked if I was going to dress it up with some kind of panel mouldings.

In my current house, which is 1965 brutalist-modernist, somebody didn't understand why I didn't want to put 6" built-up crown moldings everywhere including a 4 x 7 bathroom. He wasn't at all put off that in many of the rooms the windows are 1" from the ceiling.

I know someone who built a very traditional historically based house, and had the builder really pushing Hard to install the crown mouldings with a cove between them and the ceilings "since they were so high" and put LED rope lighting that Changed Color around the perimeters of all the main rooms. She had to fight over many details to keep them on track because their typical clients were professional athletes who for the most part went for whatever was most vulgar and garish.

I don't know what to tell you except that you will just have to be adamant and they will probably not understand your motives at all.

Natalie H. thanked palimpsest
  • 6 years ago

Sounds like the communication was on point. Who is the boss on this project? Does the builder answer to you or husband?

Natalie H. thanked dantastic
  • Related Discussions

Ball instructions for red cinnamon pickles using pickle crisp

Q

Comments (4)
    Hmmm never seen it is a box like that, only in the plastic jar. The instructions are printed right on the jar in that case. Standard regardless of the recipe it is used in: rounded 1/4 tsp. per quart or rounded 1/8 tsp. per pint. Of course you don't have to use that much if you don't want to. Glad you found what you needed though. Dave
    ...See More

Wrinkled pickles and pickled beans

Q

Comments (9)
    NCHFP lists 3 possible causes: 1. Placing cucumbers in too strong brine, too heavy syrup, or too strong vinegar. 2. Overcooking or overprocessing. 3..Dry weather. That means poor quality produce was perhaps being processed. Cukes that were too old, too long since harvested will shrivel and wrinkle but from your info I' lay money on over-processing. You start timing from when the boil returns so you have to be there. Assuming the water in the canner was already 180 or more as it should be and the jars were filled with boiling brine and hadn't cooled on the counter then it normally only takes a few minutes to come back to a boil. Dave
    ...See More

Pickled--OK to re-use pickling juices??

Q

Comments (1)
    Per NCHFP Pickling FAQs: When making quick process pickles, can I store any leftover pickling solution for future use? If the pickling solution is fresh and has not been used to make pickles, cover it and store it in the refrigerator for later use. If the pickling solution has been used, it can be stored in the refrigerator and reused in 1 or 2 days for barbeque sauce, coleslaw dressing or a marinade. If mold growth occurs, throw it out. One time of secondary use within 24 hours would probably be safe IMO but no more than that. Dave
    ...See More

What is the difference between Dill Pickles and Kosher Dill Pickles?

Q

Comments (1)
    They are called 'kosher' because the flavor is linked in most folks minds to the traditional Kosher Dill (supervised by a Rabbi) from the pickle companies of New York. The name just sticks. And the garlic is the primary difference although they may also include some additional pickling spices and greater amounts of dill. There are many dill pickle recipes that do not include garlic including those in the BBB, Joy of Pickling, and on NCHFP. But when garlic is added along with the dill then they become 'kosher' dills. Dave
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

Builders will often go on a tangent but it's up to the owner, designated person, or an architect to assert his/her authority towards design or final issues.

Natalie H. thanked Pinebaron
  • 6 years ago

Thank you for all the responses! The boss and final approver of everything is me. It has been communicated many times. What unfolds with every single contested issue is multi-fold:

1. "Nobody here does it like this". (I don't care)
    2. "Women are not involved in construction. They just say "Do whatever" (Again, I don't care, I am involved)
    3. "We can build anything", later "It is not possible" (Let me know upfront, we can adjust)
    4. "Can you do this?" "We can make it better!" (Please don't!)

We had prior issues with front entry. Transom above the door became a ridiculous mega issue. I had a firm and clear requirement - vertically aligned. We had issues of getting specs - show me the numbers, the measurements of the door parts and transom parts. I would receive half the numbers and be urged to make a decision. Finally, I had to say no to transom altogether. Not a critical issue, but an illustrative example of what is going on there with vendors and tradesmen.

Then there were columns. Again, I research, calculate, measure real life structures, eye ball, think, talk it over with cerebral friends, walk miles and miles analyzing homes around, find the right columns, confirm measurements against my calculations and books as well as read up on materials. "Oh, a local lumber yard has the same column cheaper!" "Is it the same material and measurements (provide refs)" "Yes!" "Great! Same column cheaper works for me. Send me the specs". Receive specs. Local lumberyard column is not anywhere near materials or measurements and proportion of the architecturally correct columns that I found. After going round in circles for weeks, finally everybody faced the inevitable - we must order the columns that I found. (They turned out great and now the builder himself wants to use them on his next home).

Then there was trim. I was ready with trim four months in advance. Asked it to be priced. "Oh, but we want to buy it locally". I am all for buying locally if it is available, would prefer to buy as close to home as possible. I see samples of trim that is creatively carved as inspired by trim of the past, yet missing the deep cuts or proportions that I was looking for. Quality was sadly lacking as well. Four months go by until we all of a sudden get a knee jerk reaction - hurry, quickly, we must order trim. "Well, I am not in a hurry. I was ready four months ahead of time. Now I have all the time in the world until we get it right". It seems the line of thinking was again - put pressure on me last minute.

Then we have a pending issue of a quarter round concealing the seam of the kitchen bead board ceiling. The verdict is that quarter round will look like we ran out of money. I said many times that crown moulding goes on top of the cabinets and having two crowns in the room is like wearing two hats (or crowns) on the head. I know we are trying hard to impress, but I have other motifs in mind - take away the unnecessary, trim away the excess, keep it traditional and simple. My reason is if I do not understand it, then I should not be applying it, as well as if I cannot afford it, I should not be faking it to look what it is not. Kitchen is somewhat simpler because I was smart enough to hire a designer so I can verify my reality and have a little more support.

• 6 years ago

Can you show them pictures from historical houses or diagrams? I have a series of books that have drawings of actual millwork from actual historical houses, and I am lucky enough to live in an area where they did survey and document some historical houses with drawings that are available online.

I am very lucky to have a contractor who is pretty unquestioning of my motives and esthetics and if there is some difficulty in execution of a particular detail we figure it out ahead of time. That said I am not building a house, I am remodeling one room at a time.

The other aspect of this is that I have to put up with a great deal from him:

He started tiling the last bathroom in December of 2016. He's not done yet.

• 6 years ago

I cannot express enough gratitude for you comments. I just sent out a freeze on all the trim work until we clarify if back band is a structural issue or "we will make it so beautiful even you won't recognize your house" issue.:)

• 6 years ago

2 years later I can point to each compromise. I say compromise but what really happened was I got worn down and overwhelmed by the builder. These things do matter.

I always got the concerned look followed by "I think that will look washed out. Nobody does it the same color. Ive never seen trim done like that. You will regret it etc etc." Okay.

Now I keep thinking "when will I tackle refinishing these pocket doors?" I shouldn't be refinishing doors 2 years in.

Finally I just stopped "discussing" which is where I would get worn down. I went to "just do it like the architect drew it."

Good luck!

Natalie H. thanked User
  • 6 years ago

OK, you're the boss and you know what you are doing. I don't like that the builder is able to coerce your husband into something you don't want. Gives the builder a pass. You guys have to be in agreement. It was difficult for us...

Natalie H. thanked dantastic
  • 6 years ago

Actually dantastic is correct.

We let it be known from the beginning that anything related to the mechanicals of the house, (plumbing, electrical, hvac, and finance) ask my DH.

Anything related to the design of the house, they are to come to me. When push comes to shove, I defer to DH for his knowledge and he defers to me. And our builder knows who to contact.

Helps in several ways in that they are clear and it keeps us from getting "upset" with one another.

Natalie H. thanked cpartist
  • 6 years ago

Yeah, discussing works when things are not clear. Here everything is very clear and the out of proportion, rhyme, or reason trim needs to be fixed before we proceed because depending upon how it is fixed, it will impact further trim upstairs. I am also done discussing. I asked for the answer about the structural support issue. Once I get an answer, I will say exactly what needs to be done without any more discussions. All I wanted was simple beaded trim in utility rooms. It seems, from reading all the stories, if it is simple, there seems to be an issue because there is an underlying trend of complicating and adorning things.

• 6 years ago

Can you post a pic of what they did and maybe the builders on here can let you know if it's needed or not?

Natalie H. thanked cpartist
  • 6 years ago

You're on the right track. Can you post details of the stool?

• 6 years ago

Since when is trim structural?

Frustration with trades going their own way despite what you say is not limited to homeowners.

I hate thinking of how many times trades omitted or altered what was on the plans and I didn't notice until it was too late.

• 6 years ago

Thank you worthy. So glad it's not limited only to us "novices". Sigh

• 6 years ago

I have too much to add lol

Stand your ground..they'll be annoyed now, but pleasantly surprised in the end..:)

• 6 years ago

An analogy ... my mom and I have a little side business making wedding cakes. We don't do many cakes ('cause not many people want to pay our prices), but our cakes are completely custom, one-of-a-kind creations, gorgeous on the outside, incredibly delicious on the inside. My own daughter (a cake snob, if ever one existed) was married a few months ago, and did she ever have a lovely cake: Five double-high tiers of cake stacked over a small lighted fountain ... it was taller than me ... handmade white icing lace stretched over off-white cream cheese icing ... a collectible Lennox bride and groom on top, her new initial in silver tucked amongst the ivy and spring flowers and tiny tea lights surrounding the fountain ... five flavors and five fillings inside all that beauty ... but I digress ...

back to my analogy ...

Usually we like the cake we design with the bride ... but occasionally we are commissioned to make something that isn't exactly to our taste. On those occasions, we say to one another, "We're not being paid to have an opinion."

Same thing about your carpenter. He's being paid to produce what's in your mind ... not to push his ideas on you. Whether he prefers X or Y, he needs to get with the program and realize you're the boss.

• 6 years ago

Thank you for all the support, words of wisdom, analogies, and experiences from you lives! It definitely gave me the energy to ensure that the small and seemingly insignificant details remain as planned. I so hear about getting the fatigue from asserting your vision and plan (I gave up a painted ceiling on the porch after incessant pressure partly because of pressure, partly, because either painted or unpainted both look good). As far as cakes go, I work with people all the time. My job is to let you know what you need to know to make your decision, forewarn you if you may have unwanted effects, but ultimately help you achieve what you would like to achieve even if I do not agree with you. Even when I disagree my job is still to make sure you get where you would like to get.

Came back from the house now. We live a house over so can drop by any time. Drove many points home to the husband who did not get into the details before but now seems to get the point. Bottom stool is about 4.5" wide. From what I gathered so far, the support is necessary on the bottom, not so much from the back band on top. Here is the plan I had. 4.5" beaded casing in utility rooms. It is slightly over sized for what it should be on purpose (our current kitchen has slightly over sized casing and I am used to this look and like it, not too much, and with plainness of the casing it looks good). Then kitchen, entry hall, library would have about just under 4.75" trim - beaded casing with with cove back band. Then Living Room would have same beaded casing with slightly more elaborate back band between 4.75-5" total width. Visually, when you walk into mudroom and laundry now you see just about 6" of "we did not run out of money" moulding then walk into the kitchen with under 4.75" trim and you see it. It is like we are being creative putting columns upside down. All the oomph is in the utility halls and by the time you get into other areas, the feeling deflates.

Attaching some photos. Here is the living room coming to life. The trim on top is crown moulding with a picture rail set at 9" top of crown to bottom of the picture rail (9ft. ceilings).

And here is the moulding in a utility hall that is just about 6" with the drop in the bathroom to under 4.75". You can see a bit of a bottom stool here. There is back band support on the bottom of it. I was lead to believe that back band all around is of vital structural support importance since the bottom stool is wide.

• 6 years ago
    Judging from what you say, the core problem is that your builder is a pushy type, and worse, doesn't have much respect for you as boss of this job.
    Input from the people who do the relevant things on a daily basis is truly invaluable, but (a) must be consistent (b) must be backed up (c) must leave decisions to the one making them.
    You have a guy who was not consistent (first it's aesthetic, then when that line doesn't work, it's structural) does not back up what he says in any way, and when you disagree, tries to bypass you entirely and get your husband to agree.
    The woman comment, seriously? the fact that he's willing to say that of all things, as an argument against what you propose means he'll have a hard time accepting that you are in charge of this job, being a woman.
    What to do? Meeting with your husband comes first. Discuss the situation. Agree that building decisions henceforth will be mutual, with exceptions if it suits you.
    Then a meeting with builder. Get what you want. To any objections, repeat what you want, like a stuck record. It tires out pushy people.

"... the small and insignificant seeming details..."
    "The details are not the details. These make the design." - Charles Eames
  • 6 years ago
    The builder is a really pleasant man. I like him and the quality of his work as well as his subs and their enthusiasm about our house. The woman comment came as an explanation from my husband, not as a reproach but rather as a context framework of what's going on and why I may be running into difficulties. The pressure I feel is very covert. It comes from round about discussions, delays in action, etc. oh the ups and downs of building a house. I'm in the down phase.
  • 6 years ago

Love the flat board with the back band. That is what I'm planning.

i can see why you are upset. The 6" (although beautiful) is crowded in the picture.

• 6 years ago
    Aha, I see. I had not know that comment was by your husband, nor the context. That much is true, construction is typically male dominated. like you say, tough, you are involved.
    Regardless of that, I still say, though he may genuinely be pleasant, it doesn't sound as if he has the respect required on the grounds that you are in charge. Granted, you're dealing with him, I'm not, so maybe you'd judge the matter differently. This is what it sounds like to me, and if* it is so, it's not a terrible issue. You just need to be aware of it so you stay in control of your build. don't give him the opportunity to go with the view that suits him if you and your husband differ. Rather take some time to come to a conclusion (the two of you) and get back to him
  • 6 years ago
    "oh the ups and downs of building a house"
    Oh yes, indeed! But hang in there, it will be worth it :)
  • 6 years ago

I hope he's not going to charge a change order fee to fix it back to what it should have been

• 6 years ago

Just wanted to stop in and say this seems to be the norm as opposed to the exception - at least in our experience. We're still framing but the framers have - on their own - moved things around slightly even at this stage. For example, all of our windows and doors on the front of the house have matching header heights to create an even sightline across the front elevation. We have some really tall windows on the front though, so the framers decided to mess with the header heights a bit to keep the bottom of the windows from being "too close to the floor" in their estimation. They are now correcting them.

It's bizarre to me that tradesmen would do this rather than just pick up the phone and ask. "This window is really tall and is going to be 6" from the floor - are you okay with that?" Yes, that's why the plans specified that header height.

Nearly *all* of our current issues could have been avoided by simple communication. It's not just a problem in construction though. At my job I lead a team that is tasked with improving communication throughout the company. We represent all departments and hitch our horses to various issues that previously seemed to "wilt on the vine" before completion - we pick up where others left off and drag them to the finish line. It's amazing what some simple, clear communication can accomplish.

Natalie H. thanked dbrad
  • 6 years ago

I'd be so annoyed in your position. You went to the trouble of listing everything out in detail, only to have it ignored. I'd agree with Najeebah that you should just keep repeating what you want (and remind them that what you want hasn't changed - you had a list!). It's your house and your money, and you have to live there. Good luck!

• 6 years ago

Believe me I'm a very critical person and despite being onsite every day, I still have to keep a very close watch on every detail and minute detail; I'm out on site with my drawings, measuring tapes, long levels plus other required tools and have prevented numerous errors/mishaps or what could potentially be disasters and deviation from my design. We are only up to framing walls; it's a pain dealing with me but it's our home. I have the final say in everything.

• 6 years ago

Monday morning came and what a relief! We exchanged a few emails and calls, everything is getting fixed. All of this indeed could have been avoided with listening and communication, since we are back to my original plan that avoids extra expenditure where there is no need for it. Thank you again for all the support! I would say, overall, we had a very good experience so far mostly due to separation of what my husband does vs what I do, so there are really no disagreements there since he mostly minds the budget and ensures that my messages get through. The man building our house is a third generation builder whose grandfather did an addition on our current house. He is the most delightful man to deal with. In fact, watching him and other tradesmen makes me want to be part of this business. Still miscommunication and differences of opinion arise. It is comforting to know that this is a common issue because I started doubting myself.

• 6 years ago
    great to hear it's all sorted! wow you have a family builder! :)
    yes I can relate, watching a house designed and built, especially by skilled and knowledgeable experts, does make you want to join in!
  • 6 years ago

Good deal. Thanks for updating!