SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirstin_larson

Brugmansia

On a whim this winter, I ordered Brugmansia seeds ("Angel's Trumpets") from the Park Seed catalog. I really knew nothing about Brugmansia (except that it is highly toxic!). It's not hardy in this area, so it's not common around here. But In January, I was overcome with winter woes, and ordering that seed packet sure made me happy. I planted the seeds, oh, I guess in late Feb or early Mar, having read that they can take some time to germinate. (the did.) Then, I read somewhere that they don't bloom until their second year. I was so disappointed! But, I had already decided I was going to overwinter them anyway, since I've already gone to this much trouble, so I quelled my disappointment and got on with life. BUT....this week I have been met with a lovely surprise---they plants are all setting buds! Multiple buds on each plant! I'm thrilled, and can't wait to see the flowers. Do any of you have experience growing this plant? How about overwintering it?? I'd love to get some more information. In the meantime, here are a few pics. The smaller buds aren't visible, only the big one...but there are 8 buds on this plant alone!! (you can see a couple more on the picture looking down on the plant from above.)

Comments (8)