SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

What is working and what isn't ...

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We start our gardening year with high hopes for our new plants and clever combos. Sometimes they work, and sometimes ... well, see below.

This combination of Red porter weed (thanks Karen!), small purple gomphrena, and (Blackfoot-daisy-look-alike) Zinnia angustifolia turned out well to my eyes ...

What is not working are the three Lowes sale rack $1.00 Angelonia planted within last year's group of Blackfoot daisies. I envisioned tall clouds of purple among thick white daisies. I don't know why. Angelonias do not become tall clouds of purple in all day brutal sun, plus two year old Blackfoot daisies get rangy with a lot of bare stems showing. Definitely not working ...

Why would I give time and care to a single trunked awkward giraffe style Plumeria whose flowers are 10 ft up in the air? Not attractive! Shall I lop off the trunk about half way down when I put it in the green house this winter?

Much better is a multi-trunked Plummie whose flowers are low so they can be sniffed and enjoyed ...

This multi-trunked Plumeria is so top heavy it kept blowing over. What is working is the handles of fire place tools hammered into the ground to support the pot ...

Last summer I admired the Blue porterweeds in pots all over the San Antonio Botanical Gardens so I copied that idea. Not working! Even in a 4/5 gallon pot it wilts badly everyday while the two in the ground do not ...

What might work is letting Coral vine grow up the green trunk of the Retama tree. It will be dripping with beautiful pink flowers in July! Or will it? Well, we shall see. Greater hopes than that have been dashed to the ground ...

What's working is the unplanned yellow on yellow of the Thyralis and "Lemon Sorbet" shrimp plant. But the insipid lavender pink Bougainvillea does not provide enough contrast. What will work (I hope!) is one of those new screaming purple bougies I saw this spring and didn't buy. Next year it will be in that wrought iron planter!

Colors seem to be working a little better from this view ...

My beloved Bob has been working hard painting the inside of our double garage - ceiling and all. What's not working is where he's cleaning the roller. It seems he's oblivious to the white paint on the gravel, leaves and pot, not to speak of the end of the black hose. I'm rolling my eyes, but saying nothing. A new bag of gravel and ignoring the rest will work.

But what always works is ... (see below)

Comments (56)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida