SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janet_streinersturgill

So many leaves, and fried leaf question

6 years ago

I have several hosta in a bed on the north side of the house, which came with the home and are probably around 10 years old. We live in a high desert climate, with temps over 100 degrees for around a month in the summer.

The hosta grow vigorously, and then the summer sun and heat toast the snot out of them and make them look awful. I'm not well-versed in hosta, so I'm wondering if it's okay to remove the ugly leaves or not. There seem to be too many leaves fighting for space as it is, with many smooshed up against each other and some upside down with no room to right themselves. Do they need to be divided?

I moved one to a morning sun location, and although it was like wrestling with a greased pig, it is happily growing and thriving in its new home. I have no room in good locations for the others.

What would a responsible hosta owner do to keep these healthy and happy in the relentless sun? I've already gleaned some info from this forum and I'm watering the heck out of them & will continue doing so unless directed otherwise. They are still looking pretty healthy, so there is still time.

Comments (8)