SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrick_ford5

So many window choices, so many mixed reviews

Pat F
4 years ago

We are getting ready to do a custom built house. The "included" windows are Jeld-Wen vinyl windows. Problem is, I've read nothing but awful reviews of Jeld Wen build quality and customer support. To further concern me, I called a reference a builder gave me (great review of the builder, btw) was that they HATE the windows. They've been in the house for 9 years and they said they're going to have to replace them all soon due to continual problems (broken seals, fogging etc) and Jeld Wen is so awful with customer support that they can't get them fixed under warranty.

So, I'm considering a different brand (even if extra) and naturally I'm drawn to Pella and Andersen. My issue is that I keep finding horror stories for almost all window manufacturers. I think this is just the nature of the internet, where people go to complain not praise. I'm not sure where to go to find high quality windows that will last 30 years. I'm drawn to vinyl due to cost and I've read mixed reviews on wood and fiberglass. The builder says they've installed Andersen 200 and Pella Impervia, but again, I've read plenty of bad reviews of these as well.

Where do I start? This forum must have a discussion centered around this very question, I just can't seem to find it. Can someone get me moving in the right direction?

Comments (79)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert