SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atheen_

Shade cloth question for container Meyer lemons

Yeah, i know I'm pretty late in and worrying about spring transition from inside under the grow lights to outside, but bear with me.

My chili peppers have aphids. I've tried everything to get rid of them; I've tried the insecticidal soap, I've tried the neem oil, those suckers (literally) won't go away.

So today, I went to Lowes to get some pvc pipes to build two frames, one from my Chili Peppers and one from my my lemon tree; I also by bought mosquito Nets to go with it and I ordered 1500 ladybugs that are going to eat all those suckers.

Here's the trees frame. Haven't built the chilies yet.

Now I haven't seen any aphids on my lemon trees yet, but I figured I might as well be prepared and buy whatever I needed to deal with them if they transfer to my Meyers.

And then it got me thinking. I already have the structure now, what if next fall when I bring my trees inside and most importantly next spring when I have to train them again from being inside with grow lights to being outside in the shade, what If instead of breaking my back for a month as I get them used to first four hours of natural light in the shade and then 8 hours of the same, what if I used the structure already built? I could add some shade cloth to get them trained to Natural Light versus being inside by the window with the grow lights.

Here's my problem: I don't know what percentage shade cloth I'm supposed to buy. I don't know if after they've had their four hours of shade outside I should cover them with 50% shade cloth 90% shade cloth 30% shade cloth, I have no idea.

So here's my question for you: which percentage shade cloth should I buy to cover my trees after they've had the prerequisites amount of natural light (in the shade) that I'm training them to have outside for the spring transition.

Also does only the top of the structure have to be covered with shade cloth or do the trees have to be covered on all five sides?

Thank you very much! Oh, and here are some pictures of my chilies and my lemon trees this afternoon as I'm typing this.

God bless,

Atheen

Comments (4)