SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8788188

To move or not to move?! Sunburned Hydrangeas

User
6 years ago

I planted one Annabelle and two Bloomstruck Endless Summer hydrangeas the first week in May and up until this week, they were looking fine. This week we have experienced temps in the upper 80s - mid 90s. I came home yesterday to sunburned blooms. The one with the worst sunburn(pic 1) is on the outer corner with lots of morning sun, the other with minimal burns (pic 2) is in a corner near the porch and its shaded most of the morning until about 11am. The front of my house faces east, and our big Dogwood tree provides shade in the center of our yard. The spot I planted them(to the right of our shaded area) gets morning sun and afternoon shade once the sun goes to the other side of the house, maybe around 2pm. Is it a good idea to move the bloomstrucks to the center of the yard between the hostas and near azaleas(pic 3) under the protection of our shady tree? Is this happening because they are young and not established? The Annabelle seems to be doing fine, should I plant another 2 Annabelle's in the sunny spots if I move the bloomstrucks? I see big hydrangeas in my area that are in full sun all day, and they have no blemishes. This is our first summer in our new house. I am in Maryland about 20 minutes south of Baltimore. The last pic is the front of the house in April, with our bay window to the right. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (2)

Sponsored