SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin98

Can I reduce tulip bulb splitting? If so, should I?

robin98
6 years ago

Each year I plant some new bulbs from the store, and some old bulbs from the previous season that have been dug up then stored then chilled first. I'm Southern Hemisphere zone 9b, so to get blooms again you have to lift them like this, if you can be bothered. I make a bit of an effort, partly because bulbs aren't so cheap here, but also because it seems a bit heartless to just chuck them!

But I do compromise and only dig up the ones that are planted in a raised vegetable garden bed (for cutting), because they're easy to find and it's easy to dig. Others planted in small clumps here and there in the rest of the garden are left because I forget where they were and the ground is harder to dig in anyway. They often come up again but usually just foliage (sometimes short flowers)

When I do dig bulbs up, they've usually multiplied, with up to five bulbs where there was one, often a couple reasonable size and the others smaller. I thought this was a good thing - yay, free bulbs - and the larger ones do bloom when replanted, but I throw the smaller ones out, so there's a fair bit of waste.

It's taking me ages to get my head around the whole bulb life cycle - multiplying, splitting, mother&daughter bulbs, the original bulb being gone altogether, offsets, bulblets etc - but now I'm realising that so much splitting may not be such a good thing? Is there anything I can do to reduce it? In the photos the bulbs on the paper bag are the same type from the same grower as the bulbs on the soil (one year ago they looked exactly the same)

Comments (8)