SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yffermwrhoosier

Should I pot up or start hardening off or be patient? (Newbie)

yffermwrhoosier
6 years ago

This is the first year I actually got around to starting anything from seed. But, as per usual with my gardening projects, I was late with it. I decided that it was worth it just to see if I could actually get anything to grow, so I started these tomatoes a month ago (I also bought transplants locally/got some from my neighbor so I've tried to cover my bases). I pre-sprouted the seeds and then planted one seed in each pot, figuring that they would just stay there until they were ready to go outside. I didn't realize until I was doing more reading last week that there was an advantage to potting up. And then my week got away from me.

So my question is, at this point, should I bother with the potting up? Or, even though they're tiny, should I start hardening them off? Or should I do neither and just be patient for a couple more weeks? The larger tomatoes will go into the garden, while the currant/cherry types will go into containers.

The varieties are: Candyland Red (currant type), White Currant, Chocolate Cherry, Costoluto Fiorentino, Striped German, Pineapple, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, and Paul Robeson.

Thank you so much for any help. I've been lurking here several years and finally decided to take the plunge.

(The tiny ones in the front are the currant tomatoes.)

Comments (17)