SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

Flat Flapjacks - or my weird Kalanchoe luciae

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

As many of you know, I have quite a crop of K. luciae on a raised island in my yard. They put on quite a show of color in our cool winters.

Now, I have a patch of plants that are laying out flat. It looks like they are in the shade, but this is only the morning sun. Later they are in full sun.

Here you can see normal right next to flat. The spots are not scale, but little divots that the blackbirds poked into them. (I swear, it is a game with them. I come out and they start pecking. I think they are provoking me into chasing them!)

This is another closeup. In the upper right corner you can see a deflating stinkhorn fungus. I don't know if a fungus could be the problem?

It has been very very dry for us since October. I wonder if I am not watering them sufficiently - a different problem for me! These plants are at the top of this raised island, so maybe it is drying out faster?

I need to separate a lot of these, so maybe I should dig up one of these flat guys and look for scale under there. Scale tends to stay at the bottom of the plant, so I could be missing it. The leaves are rigid and feel just like the other, normal looking plants.

Any thoughts? Maybe I should just not worry about it. Hopefully, our rainy season will start later this month. Then I'll have a new worry! LOL

Comments (11)