SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in June 2017

Ismene 'Sulphur Queen'. Smells sort of like lemon candy?

What fragrant plants are blooming in June for you?

Comments (57)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Tom. Crimson Glory is one of my favorite scented roses. I always have to stop and sniff one when I encounter them.

Lilium 'Satisfaction' is just now starting to open and release its lovely rosewood scent.

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Mmm rosewood..sounds delightful

• Related Discussions

Veggie Tales - June 2017

Q

Comments (348)
    We had storms overnight and I was pleased when I checked the garden this morning that 1) there was about 1.25" of rain in the rain gauge; 2) there was no damage from the wind. The garden looked pretty happy this morning, and I was tickled to see that the beans that I planted just a few days ago are already sprouting. At this time of summer I am always thankful for a good soaking rain. May you all be lucky enough to get periodic rains throughout the summer.
    ...See More

June 2017 Blooms!

Q

Comments (152)
    Spike is sooo cute! Spike lives in a Saguaro. How fitting:). Oh I could never get rid of Snoopy bank:). There are still coins in there from when I was a little girl;). I think I love Snoopy because my grandma loved him(my father's mom), and my dad loves Peanuts. So the love was bound to be passed down. My dad said when my mom was young she reminded him of Peppermint Patty:).
    ...See More

June 2017 blooms in Kentucky

Q

Comments (11)
    You have some gorgeous blooms, Kentucky! So happy to finally see them. Looks like the blue cups work good for you. Your roses look very healthy! Butter Cream, Baby Boomer, Gift of Life, Pat's Choice, and all of the second group of pics are my favorite! I'll just say I love them all!
    ...See More

More from Kentucky June 2017

Q

Comments (16)
    Rosesmi, thanks. I got Grande Amore spring 2014. That one was from Edmonds' and I got another one from Palatine Roses. Both are doing exceptionally good. This spring I got another one from Palatine. Love this rose. It gets bare legged and some BS issues late summer and is tall. I like Let Freedom Ring, Veteran's Honor, and Black Magic. Today Grande Amore is the better, most productive, healthier rose for my garden. I don't notice any fragrance. A low maintenance rose.
    ...See More
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Of course that's just my interpretation of its scent. ;)

• fragrant2008
    6 years ago

Here is a new one for me Echinopsis subdenudata very much like Epiphyllums big showy flowers many of them are night fragrant but take up far less room

Here is a short vudeo of some of the many hybrids

https://youtu.be/I8W4LyIXINE

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Another Crimson Glory. I wish the flowers had opened all at once instead of one by one. One blasts and then another opens.

Pope John Paul II. Almost missed this one! The rain battered it. One of the best fragrances I've ever smelt in a rose. It smells like lemon, something fresh, and somewhat old-fashioned.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    6 years ago

Chlidanthus fragrans

Found a blooming champaca at a nursery and picked a flower. I find the scent is lovely. The smell reminds me of Dendrobium hancockii or ligustrums, very different from alba. Angel Wing jasmine has a somewhat similar scent also.

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Champaca is such a fragrant flower. Grew up with these when I was a kid :) Can't grow them here but in the meanwhile enjoying these!

Mysore mulli

Nicotiana alata
    Almond Verbena. Growing it in a lowes 5 gallon bucket
    Grand duke supreme

Original Author
    6 years ago

My Mysore Mulli has been pumping out blooms. I've been delighted. Jealous of all you folks who have actually sniffed a Champaca bloom. Always been curious of its fragrance. How do you like the nicotiana, jasminegal? It has a strange complex scent that I find difficult to describe.

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

The fragrance of champaca is so strong especially during our warm Indian summer evenings. Our neighbors had this tree growing on our side street and still remember I and my sister playing there and its fragrance wafting. I was just 10 yrs maybe but some things you don't forget. Lot of people get headaches due to its fragrance.

I loved the fragrance of nicotiana Robert. I actually sniffed it right when it opened and to me it smelt like jasmine. My son sniffed it and when I asked him how did he like it, he told me that it smelt like a bunch of jasmines in one bloom. I will get a whiff again of its second bloom and see if it smells different to my nose :) I am actually falling in love Brunfelsia Australis. It is pumping out so many blooms this year that whole yard is wafting with its fragrance.

• blutayle
    6 years ago

Even though it seems like gardening season is over in Florida til the Fall, still have some nice fragrance going on that enjoy the intense heat and humidity.

Love...Love...Love... the Enc. Rufa

Giant Milkweed...this variety not fragrant...but love it anyway.

Grand Duke Supreme

Fragrant Purple Petunias with a budding Aimee Gardenia.

Nicely fragrant Aer. Odorata

Tahitian Gardenia...love this fragrance more than regular Gardenia if possible AND it blooms ALL summer long

Pink Trumpet Vine...LOVE the smell

Gerbera Daisy

Phal. Bellina

Black and Blue Salvia and my Hummingbird guard dog

• blutayle
    6 years ago

And some more...

Cym. Tracyanum....shocked that most buds have remained...only lost two that blasted and have a total of nine on that trademark arching elongated stem. I am in disbelief that it is doing so well so late in the season. Can't wait to smell the peachy smell as this is supposed to be a very fragrant Cym. You can see the lower bud starting to split

Aer. Houlletiana...love the color contrast and fragrance

Encyclia Radiata...smells like Vanilla Frosting wafting on a hot day...

A second Tahitian Gardenia I have...and am learning about their over watering issues

Not fragrant just some summer urns I put together and waiting to fill out

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

I've been really excited to show you guys this first time bloomer. I've read it was one of the most fragrant cattleyas. The blooms have been open for a few days but there was no detectable scent until I put it in the sun. Now it is moderately fragrant for me. I don't really love the scent either. At first it smelt like stargazer lilies but now it smells like a typical cattleya, kind of like roses, honey, plastic, and musty.

Blc. Waianae Leopard 'Ching Hua'

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Keep sniffing it over the days Tom. Maybe you will start see a difference in the fragrance. Love the flower!

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Thank you Jasminegal! I will definitely keep sniffing haha. I've been checking it like a madman to see if the fragrance would become apparent, but I don't want to smother the plant. I try to let them do their own thing because I know that lots of plants like to be ignored. I really am fascinated with this bloom, the colors and spotting, and how the lip looks like an eye to me. I didn't think this one would bloom this year! Usually the first year I buy them they don't bloom. I was really surprised when a new growth popped up and out came a spike!

• blutayle
    6 years ago

Hi Tom,

I have one that has two buds on it and love how even the outside of the buds are spotted. I bought this same plant last year for the fragrance and like you, not one of my favorites. It can be very musty and shifty in its scent. For its beauty alone it is a keeper but for fragrance I lean more toward my George King and Erin Kobayashi "Amy Chen" as well as Elmhurst for fragrance.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Jasminum sambac 'Arabian Knights' is starting to bloom. 

Lilium 'Silk Road' in the background has joined 'Satisfaction' in perfuming the backyard.

Almost forgot Lonicera 'Goldflame' has been giving another flush. I love its delicate perfume scent. Of course I wish it was stronger but sometimes like on cool mornings it is.

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Miss molly butterfly bush started blooming today and what a gorgeous color and wonderful fragrance. Almost smells like raspberry to my nose. Wafting as well.

Robert you are absolutely right about Nicotiana. The more I am smelling it the more complex I am finding it. The newly opened ones smell like molle and azores but the next night it changes. It is hard to tell what it smells like though. But what a wonderful bloom it is! Just 4 blooms and it was wafting. Probably nicotiana and brunfelsia australis are my favorite for their wafting power right now atleast.

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Blutayle, I thought the same thing about the buds! I love the spots. The flowers are quite hypnotizing as well. I could stare at them all day. I looked up George King, that's a beautiful bloom. Where did you get yours? If I can find a Better-Gro bag baby at Lowe's I'd definitely grab that one. I thought about buying a baby 'Elmhurst' at Lowe's but I didn't because I didn't really want to wait for it to grow. Your orchids are something else! Funny you have a few that I've had my eye on for awhile, Cymbidium tracyanum and Aerides houlletiana..I can't wait to see a pic of the cym blooms when they open. Great growing!

Robert, those lily blooms are insane!! Wow. Like a little lily jungle. Looks like an English cottage garden. You don't even know how envious I am right now! :) In the friendliest way possible of course. And I can't wait to show you and jasminegal how many flowers I have coming on my grand duke!!

• blutayle
    6 years ago

Tom,

I believe I got my George King Serendipity on Ebay but have gotten a beauty at Phelps Farm here in Tampa a few years back that unfortunately the summer rains got to and rotted. The second year I had it...I bet it would've won an award....Phelps also has Elmhurst as well...

• drmbear Cherry
    6 years ago

The nicotania is in full bloom, and since I am usually in the garden just as night is coming, the scent just fills the garden. I've been very happy that it has reseeded itself, for the third year, without moving to take over the universe. I have it growing in different segments of the garden so that wherever I walk through at nightfall, the garden is full of the scent. And they bloom nearly all the way until fall.

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Duke of tuscany started blooming today

Good old maid of orleans is putting on a wonderful show
    Nicotiana
    Jasmine nitidum in its full glory
    Had to add this wonderful picture of supreme
    Bee balm leading lilac I believe

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Very nice pictures Jasminegal! You must be in fragrance heaven as I like to say. Nice coincidence, my first grand duke flower opened up too! I counted maybe 50 buds on my plant. I will take pics when more open. It is definitely jasmine season. Belle & maid are both growing buds too.

• blutayle
    6 years ago

Tom,

My spotted buds opened today...flower still has to expand and fragrance in few days..

• blutayle
    6 years ago

Forgot to attach pics of the George King and one of my very favorites Betty Ford York that grows like a weed...

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Wow Tom...50 buds on duke! That's amazing. How old is your duke and how big? I am definitely in tropics right now :)

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Jasminegal, I've had it over a year, not quite sure how old. It was full size when I got it from Lowes. I've never seen that many buds on a Duke. It's 3 feet tall and potbound. I need to either repot or put it in the ground, not sure which I want to do yet.

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Blutayle, those are some nice blooms. I have 3 on my leopard. That Betty Ford is something else. A very nice specimen. Now I'm finding I want to sift through the cattleya bag babies at Lowe's..

Original Author
    6 years ago

Hemerocallis 'Hyperion' is starting to explode into bloom. I love sniffing this daylily.

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

I just realized how many fragrant, white, night-blooming flowers I have! Most of them are blooming tonight :)

Bell of India is very fragrant for only having 5 flowers open, a little more than Duke!
    Grand Duke of Tuscany. Everyone in the house was very impressed with the number of flowers and the scent.
    Brassavola grandiflora has been in bloom since before Christmas
    Tabernaemontana divaricata 'Flore Peno' nice, faint soap scent if you stick your nose in the flowers. Not the best representation of the blooms. They look slightly wilted.
    Tahitian gardenia - gorgeous gardenia smell, + some fruity and wintergreen. Still opening
    Epiphyllum hookeri, I believe. The tag said rick-rack cactus but I knew it wasn't. I was hoping it was a fragrant epiphyllum. It's barely fragrant, kind of grassy/sweet.
    This is for jasminegal, Stephanotis floribunda (Madagascar jasmine) buds!! There's 2 more peduncles on this one vine.

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Beautiful blooms Tom! Love your duke..so many buds!! Now you are just showing off with your stephanotis :) Here's my Arabian nights jasmine

Nycanthes
    Agalaia

Orange cestrum

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Thanks Jasminegal!! Now THOSE are some beautiful blooms!! How do you have blooms on nyctanthes? Isn't it out of season?? Mine is growing but slowed after I overfertilized it. It seems to be sensitive to it. I need to pot mine up I think :) How big is the plant? And how does orange cestrum smell ? Is it strong?

• blutayle
    6 years ago

Question about the Four O'Clocks....does the regular seed packet with the mixed colors work for fragrance you find in the big box stores or should it be just white nicotiana and something to buy thru Heirloom Seeds..ect...thanks in advance from this fragrance junkie.

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Thanks Tom! My nycanthes is a very small plant which I bought in mid april from gardino's. Even I was wondering about its blooms. The thing is everyone who has this plant from gardino's this year have been getting the blooms now. Could be the weather... enjoying it bloom though. So no complains there :) It is a sensitive plant. I wish I could plant it in the ground. My parents have this planted it in the ground back in India and what a glorious sight when early in the morning there is a carpet of white and orange right near the trunk.

Orange cestrum smells like its name. Very citrusy. Love its fragrance. It does not have the typical cestrum's overpowering fragrance at all. Its one of my favorite plants around. Only drawback needs plenty of water if pot bound since it gets huge in one season.

Blutayle till now I have no luck with fragrance with store bought 4 o'clock seeds. Absolutely no fragrance. I got the nicotiana alata from swallowtail seeds this year and they are absolutely fragrant.

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Jasminegal, I bought mine at the beginning of December. It came with blooms and it stopped blooming after I put it outside. I did read it blooms from fall to spring, so I guess it is in season. The carpet of flowers is a heavenly visual! I very well might plant mine in the ground when it gets larger. Even though I'm in zone 9 and this is a zone 10 plant, I have a bunch of zone 10 plants that have done very well the last 5 or 6 years here. I'm definitely a zone pusher. :) Very nice aglaia by the way. It's next on my list :)

Bluetayle, like jasminegal the store bought four o'clock seeds were not fragrant at all. The plants were cute but I had to keep ripping them up because they spread. Eventually they stopped coming back.

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

You need to get Agalaia Tom. Its such a neat plant and such a wonderful fragrance. I got it after seeing I think Robert's Agalaia. Mine is in its 2nd summer with me and I love it.

Be careful while zone pushing with Nycanthes. Its supposed to be very sensitive to temp changes and never really recovers from it. I had one couple of years ago and it died due to the changes. I just took a chance again to see if I could be successful this time and got a good deal from gardinos.

• blutayle
    6 years ago

Jasminegal and Tom,

Thanks, the swallowtail site looks great and I am now just chopping at the bit to get some nicotiana...thanks so much. Also, is white the most fragrant or are the colored ones just as intense...After that the only thing missing is my Brunfelsia Gigantea that I gave away and have remorse...then I shall feel complete...well for now...well maybe just today...LOLOLOL

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Don't worry Blutayle all us feel remorse for that one single plant which we give away. Hopefully someone else chimes in about the colored varieties nicotiana. I am planning to try them next year. As per my research nicotiana alata is supposed to be the most fragrant of all. So I started with that.

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

I'll keep that in mind jasminegal. It did see a low temp of 37 and came out fine. And just my 2 cents, I've never grown any nicotiana plants but I'm sure the white is probably the most fragrant, as most white flowers usually are.

• blutayle
    6 years ago

Two more fragrant orchids braving the June weather...

Mildly fragrant Zygo....forgotten under a shrub...

Tracyanum opened....not super thrilled with the coloration and hoping for a more pronounced fragrance...but hey it bloomed in Florida...I can't complain right?

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Cashmere bouquet

Logees Flore Plena jasmine

Chilean jasmine
    Azores Jasmine

Crepe Jasmine

• fragrant2008
    6 years ago

Keep them coming everyone here are a few more orchids blooming

Aerides houlletiana first time flowers for my lovely fragrance reminds me of lemon sherbet sweets

Brat. Shelob tolkien AM/AOS

Pansy orchid light fragrance

Coelogyne ochracea powerful fragrance

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Nice orchids you two! Most of mine still haven't bloomed but I haven't had them very long.

Stephanotis blooming after taking a long break. There's 4 more umbels.

First time bloomer, Hoya cv. Mathilde. Indole smell like paperwhites only at night.

Original Author
    6 years ago

It's definitely Oriental lilies time. I prefer the clove perfume scent of Casa Blanca (first lily) over the scent of the second unknown pink one that I got at Lowe's as a mixed bag of Oriental lilies. The pink one is stunning though.

Of course the sambac jasmines have been pumping out their heavenly scent at night mingling with the lilies' perfume. I had a nice cluster of 4 Belle of India blooms opening on one branch last night that of course we couldn't resist not cutting and bringing inside. :)

• macranthos
    6 years ago

I am envious of all of these amazing sambacs. I've only killed mine. I think it's too cold st night here or something. Alas.

Dar, I've had Chlidanthus fragrans for several years and still no flowers. I keep it in the greenhouse, which is warmer but less sunny than outside. Any hints for getting into bloom? Maybe I need to douse it with more fertilizer or give it more sun.

My trachelospermum is doing well tho. We are selling this house, unfortunately, and I will truly miss this plant, among others.

Lilium pricei

First flowers for the year on the Plumeria.

And my Antirhinum hispanicum which smells like honeysuckle.

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Lovely lilies Robert! I'm quite envious haha

• blutayle
    6 years ago

Nothing better than a vase full of Casablancas to ease a bad day....

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Jasminum molle has started blooming early because of the high heat we are having. Weird really molle blooming before rangoon creeper.

Jasmine Tortuosum
    Jasmine grandiflorum
    All of these beauties are filling their amazing fragrance on my deck in the night. I am in heaven :) Waiting for my casablancas to bloom now!

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

My molle died. It didn't come back after forgetting to water it so I tossed it lol.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I can't recall how many plants I've killed from forgetting to water them. Laugh.

My Buddleja × weyeriana 'Honeycomb' is starting to bloom. So far the scent is light and sweet. Of course I wish the scent was stronger. :)

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Uh oh. So sorry to hear that Tom. All of us have killed one plant or two actually :) Robert what a glorious color Buddleia. I am still enjoying my miss molly.