SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allielawson

New Zealand Lemonade Source?

allielawson
6 years ago

Hi all,

I've referred to this forum constantly for the last few years as I've learned to grow citrus but I've never posted anything. I'd like to thank everyone who has posted here regularly. Because of your knowledge, my trees are thriving.

I have three Meyers, one Variegated Pink Eureka, and two calamondins. They're lovely and full of fruit. Now, what I really want is a New Zealand Lemonade tree but I can't find a retailer who actually has them in stock. I live in Maryland so there's no hope of finding this variety locally. Four Winds' site is out of stock. Does anyone know of a source that actually has them in stock? Is this a lost cause?

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Allie, I got mine from Stan McKenzie at McKenzie Farms. I gave him a call and he searched around and found one. I suspect he has more this year. He's a great guy, just give him a call. Where in MD are you?

allielawson thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • Stephen P
    6 years ago

Hi Laura! How's your NZL doing? Did Stan ship you the tree? I wonder if he'll be able to ship one to me in CA. :)

• Sammers510
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Allie, I got mine from four winds but it took almost a year for them to be back in stock, I signed up to be notified and when they notify you hop on it asap (within minutes sometimes) I missed out on an AFL at the same time and had to wait a few more months to get it.They only seem to get the entry level in so sign up to be reminded for that one. Since I got my NZL in Feb/March they have gone in and out of stock a few times. I think its a popular enough tree that they will have some more this summer but I don't know for sure. I saw they had some in stock on Friday but they are sold out now. I am still waiting for a Santa Teresa Lemon to come into stock since last May and its killing me. Good luck! Hopefully we will both find our trees soon!

allielawson thanked Sammers510
  • allielawson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Laura- Thanks, I'll give him a call. How mature was the tree you received? I'd rather buy one from him if his are more mature than Four Winds' entry level trees. Is it still doing well for you? I'm in White Marsh, Baltimore County.

Sammers- I did sign up for a notification about a month or two ago but I haven't seen anything yet. I must have missed the email. It's amazing that they go so fast. You'd think they'd a lot propagate more for the future if they see that a particular variety goes so fast. I'm sure you'll get your Santa Teresa soon!

• Sammers510
    6 years ago

I know!I wish they allotted for more trees, it must be hard to source the budwood and have successful grafts, plus when you think about it the time investment on the part of the growers is huge, so if they realized this year they should have more it could take them years to build up a stock, and if the small trees sell out instantly they aren't going to wait and let it get 2-3 years old for not much more cost, they could easily just keep selling smaller trees and turn a reliable profit with a shorter time investment. I like to order the largest size tree's possible so I usually stay away from the entry level trees but I wasn't going to wait forever for a larger one, mine came with buds already and looked great, I am pretty positive I will have fruit next year, I would have had fruit this year but I accidentally let the tree dry out since I wasn't used to the small size pot and it dropped all its leaves, thankfully I got it re-potted and its flushed new growth already and is even trying to but out a few more buds.

allielawson thanked Sammers510
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

I don't think mine was any bigger than FW entry trees, but it sure has grown fast. It's a great tree. I'll take a pic for you...

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

I repotted it just two days ago because it has grown so much.

allielawson thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Stephen, I doubt he can ship to CA because of the quarantine. I am in a non-quarantine state.

• allielawson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm sure you'll have fruit before you know, Sammers. It's going to be so great when you get to try that first one, especially since the fruit is not really available in the here. Hearing that yours came with buds makes me feel better about ordering an entry size tree.

• allielawson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Your tree looks beautiful, Laura! Thanks for taking the pics.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

I wish I could find a pic of it when I got it to show you. If Stan has some, I'd order it in a heartbeat.

• jinnylea
    6 years ago

This is my New Zealand Lemonade that Stan sent me almost a year ago. It was a beautiful two year old tree. It was packaged really well for shipping. Reasonable price for the tree, but the shipping was expensive to send to my neck of the woods. Lol.

• allielawson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh no! I'm sorry you lost your tree. I know it can be hard to keep them healthy while they're indoors for the winter. Best of luck to your daughter-in-law with hers. Thanks for the pics and info.

• jinnylea
    6 years ago

You are so welcome, and thank you! I hope you find a source for the NZL! :)

I lost a few trees, unfortunately. I had a number of trees in my sunroom most of the winter with supplemental heat. They did well all winter until we had a few nights outside get below zero. The indoor temp hovered around low thirties, high twenties for a few nights if I remember correctly..they struggled after that. A few survived along with all the citrus trees that were in my warm office room. Not all is lost and for that I am grateful!

allielawson thanked jinnylea
  • Sammers510
    6 years ago

Oh Jinny that's unfortunate, I am sorry you lost it. I am nervous going into this next winter now that I have so many more tree's, I know there's bound to be a casualty.

I have to agree that its a fast grower, I cannot believe how well its rebounded after I stressed it and it defoliated. I can only imagine how much nicer/bigger it would look now if it hadn't. I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the size of the tree when I first saw it but now I realize that it doesn't really matter that much, I got a few other varieties in the same size from One Green World and don't mind waiting a little longer for bigger crops.

I haven't had the pleasure of ordering from Stan yet but everyone I have seen buy from him has a good experience.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Oh Jinny, I'm sorry about your NZL. That really stinks. It was lovely.

• jinnylea
    6 years ago

Thank you, ladies! Stan is a great guy to talk with and deal with. Very friendly, knowledgeable and he has beautiful trees.., Laura, it stunk.. I loved that tree so much. I will not let my citrus get cold roots like that again..even for a short amount of time. Especially since I have no idea what rootstock some of them are growing on that came from Four Winds. Most all of my trees from Harris survived (except for two) and came through just fine except for some leaf loss. My mandarins and oranges from FW did poorly and suffered branch dieback in late winter.. The lemons sailed on through except for my NZL..

• pip313
    6 years ago

As far as four winds, I'd let the rootstock grow a branch on purpose, just long enough to see if it's a Cuban shaddock or whatever trifoliate they use. Then of course rub the sprout off.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County