SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bblover

(Feeding) Calcium for bluebirds

BB_Lover
6 years ago

My questions: Has anyone used the recipe included in this post, or one similar, and with what results ... ? Is vitamin D necessary or helpful (for birds) with the calcium? (Calcium carbonate powder is available without vitamin D.) Or what do you suggest to help with calcium intake?
I learned on sialis.org that mealworms are calcium depleting. Because the female lost her mate, and the new young male appears to need lots more training, I upped the number of mealworms being fed to "our" bluebirds - her, the new male, and the fledglings. She now has 5 more eggs laid. :D Also on sialis.org, there is a recipe shared that might add calcium when feeding mealworms. ... I'll give the link and paste the recipe here. Any input is welcome. (For now, I have chicken egg shells, rinsed, sterilized, and ready to pulverize. I can at least make them as powdery as possible and shake in a bag with mealworms when feeding.)
"Another option is to make up the following mixture which wildlife rehabbers use, and coat mealworms with it before offering them to birds (thanks Casey!)
- 1 cup high quality kitten kibble. Wal-Mart's Maxximum or Iams is good.
- Soak in 1 cup warm water until the water is absorbed and the kibble is no longer crunchy.
- Two hard cooked egg whites - no yolk - chopped
- Calcium carbonate tablets plus vitamin D that will equal 1800-2000mg. calcium (probably 3 or 4). Crush tablets.
- Combine in a blender. Final consistency similar to thin Dijon mustard."
http://www.sialis.org/calcium.htm

Comment