SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wunderlong88

Raised beds/soil question

We built raised beds last year and amended the soil according to Howard Garrett's book for Texas vegetable gardening. We also added a large quantity of llama beans (manure, which doesn't have to be composted) and seaweed from our local creek. We have truck loads of mulch from the local county tree trimming that we use on top of the soil. This is my second season to grow veggies and I feel like everything is doing really well. I am trying to garden organically.

Between the fall garden and the current spring/summer garden we just lightly loosened and turned the dirt with a 4 pronged pitchfork of sorts. From reading I decided against roto tilling (except when we initially mixed all of our soil and amendments). I replanted and put a new layer of mulch.

I have a compost bin and a lot of llama beans and seaweed that can be added periodically but I am not sure how to go about this. I didn't try to do it in between the fall and spring gardens but I will want to I would think before the next plantings. My problem is the level of dirt in the raised beds is really about as full as it needs to be and I don't know if I am supposed to remove some of the soil and add new composting materials/manure etc? I don't want to overly disrupt the beneficial life that is hopefully maturing in the dirt.

How do you add compost without being overfull in a raised bed? What is the best technique for this?

Thank you,

Linda

Comments (12)