SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enmnm

Cherry tomatoes in a "CityGarden" container from Home Depot zone 6b

enmnm (6b)
6 years ago

I am fussing and could use some advice from the hive.

The first year I bought this unit I used bamboo stakes and I assume it worked, though frankly, it was several years ago, that I don't remember how it panned out.

I subsequently bought an EarthBox, and grew tomatoes there. However, I also pruned off all the branches, leaving the main one. Needless to say, this vine always exceed 7 feet and I would always have to augment the support by adding a tall bamboo stick.

This year, after reading the forums, I plan to allow 2 or 3 strong offshoots to grow. I also planted them in my CityGarden thing, which doesn't have a stake attachment. In the past, I used an extra EarthBox one, just shoved into the dirt.

Since I am letting multiple stems grow, I am assuming that I won't need an extra long stake...so was going to use my EarthBox attachment again. Should I bother, or should I just use my bamboo sticks? They are about 6 feet (as opposed the EB attachment, which is roughly 5, but of course far more stable than a stick) and I am not worried about the plants getting taller than 6 feet because I cannot reach them that high.

What would you do? The EarthBox stakes (5 ft and stable) or multiple bamboo sticks (6 ft and not-so-stable)?

Comments (5)