SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtippitt

Tomato Early Blight, aphid damage, or heat damage? HELP !

gtippitt
16 years ago

Is this what Early Blight looks like, and is it always early?

http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/t/gtippitt/tomato_leaf_top.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/t/gtippitt/tomato_leaf_bottom.jpg

I have two tomato plants that I am growing in 10 gallon buckets. I have a large hole drilled in the bottom of the buckets and grow these two indeterminate plants hanging upside down in the manner of the "Topsy Turvy Upside-Down Tomato Planter". This has worked well for me the past 2 years. I try to grown them organically. Because of the temps near 100 each day and no rain in months, I water them both daily with compost tea to fertilize them, and they have grown well. They are potted in a mixture of half commercial potting soil mix and half compost. The compost was made from last fall's bagged lawn clippings from a herbicide free lawn. The clippings were about half grass and chopped leaves from poplar and maple that were picked up by the lawn mower. The mixture heated up well and aged all winter. As the soil settled and its organic matter decomposed, I have topped the containers off with more compost to mulch the plants roots that have grown to the top of their containers. One of my plants is a cherry tomato and is not having any problems. This cherry tomato plant is nearly 6 feet long and hangs heavy with clusters of tomatoes like grapes.

My other plant is a German Johnson (non-potato leaf) heirloom variety. I have only gotten one tomato from this heirloom, but it was large, meaty, and one of the best tasting tomatoes I have every eaten. All spring this plant was infested with aphids and red-spider mites, and only a single bloom set to form fruit. The aphids and mites, ate around the neck of each bloom until it dropped off the plant. Each day for 2 weeks, I tried hosing the plants down with a water hose to wash the bugs off, but this was only slightly effective. The single fruit I have gotten from the plant formed after I began these "fire hose" treatments.

I kept trying to decide why the cherry tomato on one side of the house had lots of lady beetles and other predatory bugs, but no aphids or mites that I could see, while the German Johnson on the other side was being eaten up by pests. I noticed that the cherry tomato plants was near a porch light that comes on dusk to dawn, and thought that this might be attracting beneficial insects. I gave up on the "fire hose" treatments and then tried putting a spotlight on the pest infested heirloom at night, and after a week, every single aphid and mite was gone. I don't think I have ever seen or heard of using a light at night as a method of attracting beneficial insects. Has anyone heard of this, or was it a coincidence?

After I got rid of the aphids and mites, I did not expect much fruit to set until there was some break in the temperatures. I am cherishing my cherry tomatoes and hope to keep the indeterminate heirloom plant healthy for a good fall crop once the temps dropped a bit. The plant has now started dropping its leaves. All of the leaves are now gone from the oldest half of the plant, which would be the lower half of the plant if it were not hanging upside down. The newer growth is now starting to turn yellow and die as well. The leaves look somewhat like what I can find of "Early blight". From what I can read about the German Johnson variety, it is supposed to be very disease resistant.

The new growth is lush, green, and has lots of blooms, but it is not setting fruit. More and more of the older growth is dying each day. The leaves first begin to look like the one in the picture below, then turn turn yellow, then brown. Once one of the leaves on a stem begins to look like this, the entire stem will be dead 3 days later. Did the pests weaken this plant beyond saving, or it is simply dropping the damaged leaves? I cannot judge for certain, but I think that most of the foliage that is left, may be new growth since I got rid of the aphids and mites. The plant is also on the southwest corner of my home and gets hot sun all day. Like most of the nation, it has been near 100 much of the summer, but unlike most of the nation, we have only had about an inch of rain per month, so I water the plants every morning. Is the plant doing all it can to survive the heat in afternoon sun?

Can anyone look at my leaf pictures at the links below and tell me what is wrong? What I might do to save it? I prefer not to use anything toxic, because my dogs play on the patio beneath the plant, and I hope to eat the fruit from the plant.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/t/gtippitt/tomato_leaf_top.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/t/gtippitt/tomato_leaf_bottom.jpg

Thank you,

Greg Tippitt

Knoxville, TN - USDA Zone 6B

Image link:

Comments (2)