SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewan_ko08

Propagating my fiddle leaf fig

ewan ng
6 years ago

Hi all, I've had my fiddle leaf fig for about 2 months and it's going great so far. 6 new leaves have emerged and everything seems healthy. My fiddle leaf is a single stem with 2 main branches on top. One of the branches is getting bigger and heavier than the other so I decided to cut it and I'm trying to root the cutting that I have. I have a few questions hopefully you guys can help me with.

1. I just realized that most suggestions said to wait for June or later to prune the tree but I did mine earlier. Does this mean that I might not get a lot of back-budding in my branch?
  2. I cut the branch in between 2 nodes. The cut is closer to the node that was left on the branch and further away from the first node of the cutting. Is this OK?
  3. I left one leaf in the cutting and cut the rest off the branch. This was a newly (full) grown leaf from a month ago. Do I still need to cut this leaf in half?
  4. I planted the cutting in 100% perlite, watered it thoroughly and put it in the shade. Since perlite is very aerated, it doesn't hold much water. Does this mean that I will have to water this pretty much everyday?
  5. When do I move this cutting to 5-1-1 mix?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor