SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annkih

Big summer project

AnnKH
6 years ago

I introduced myself last week, but didn't tell my whole story.

I started planting hostas in my yard 3 years ago, when my Mom sold her house in the woods, and I dug up as many of her hostas as I could fit in the back of my Jeep.

The back of my yard is lined with spruce trees, which are too close together, and too close to the deciduous trees in the middle of the yard, so the lower branches have died. As we trimmed up the dead branches, we discovered a lovely woodland feel under the trees - and a perfect location for Mom's hostas! In these 3 photos, I'm standing in the same spot, photographing from left to right. This was 2015.

Once I got started, I got more and more enthused about filling in what my 6-yr-old neighbor boy dubbed "the Forest". I divided hostas, lamium, and lady's mantle, and added some astilbes and a ligilaria. Last summer I moved my cedar swing to the back (where the newly chopped down tree is in the photo above), and made a path of stepping stones (they aren't yet dug into the ground in the photo below):

You may notice in the photo above that there is grass around the hostas. We have a lawn service that overseeds for us every year (winter kill is a common problem up here). Never before had they planted grass seed under the spruce trees, but apparently when we limbed the trees up a bit, they thought it should all be grass. Ack! Now I have grass coming up around everything. Granted, it was weeds before, but they would be easier to deal with than lawn!

June 30, 2015

May 20, 2017

This summer's project is to de-grass the Forest. We just bought edging, to define the lawn (and hopefully minimize encroachment into the garden, once we get rid of the dang grass). It seems an insurmountable task at this point, but I've had so much fun back there so far that it's worth the effort.

That's my story. As things open up, I hope to get some good photos of individual plants so you nice people can help my ID some of the hostas I got from my Mom - and I will not be embarrassed by the state of the ground around my plants.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County