SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldana80

I need some advice about an injured bird?

goldana80
6 years ago

Yesterday evening a little bird flew in my bathroom window and my house cat caught him and dragged him under the bed in the bedroom. I was able to shoo the cat away before fatality occurred, but now I'm left with this little bird and I don't know what to do with him?

Obviously he survived the night, ironically in a cat carrier and I took him out on my lawn this afternoon to see the extent of his injuries.

The cat did not bite him anywhere on his body and he only has some minor bite wounds on one wing. The feathers of that wing are all crumpled and I fear that the wing may be broken. He can't fly at all and only managed a few half hearted hops across the yard before I collected him again.

I read that most wild birds die of cat bites because they develop septicaemia from the bacteria in the cat's mouth, but it has been almost 24 hours and he seems okay.

The little guy seems alert and chipper enough despite being attacked. Now my only problem is that I don't know what to do with him?

I believe that he is a common wildbird that we have in Europe, though I don't know what kind, perhaps a Warbler? I could hand him over to a vet or wildlife rehab, but I read on the Internet that they usually just euthanise common birds with broken wings.

I could try to keep him myself for a little bit and see if his wing improves enough to be released. I just don't know what to feed him? I gave him an assortment of foods to sample, such as wild birdseed, a suet ball, some crushed up berries and water. My husband said that he'd look for some worms when he got home too.

I don't know what the right choice is? What is his best chance at survival?

I think he might be a young bird too as he is so small! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations