SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwa45

WIndows 7 Home Edition Looking for opinions on antivirus programs

biwa45
6 years ago

After the experience of some sort of malware disabling my PC and making me miserable for hours, which I just posted about under Strange experience with ransomware(?), I am looking to try something other than AVG, which is what I had been using (though the problem may not have been AVG's fault).

Some time ago, I signed up for Kaspersky, but there was something about it (I forget what now) that led me to cancel that. Many years ago, I had McAfee and then Norton, but they got too complicated. When I look at reviews for other programs, such as Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, and TrendMicro (I used Pc-cillin for several years in the past), many people appear to have had bad experiences with customer support, or else they complain that the programs (especially TrendMicro and Norton, the two that I am sort of leaning towards right now) are resource hogs.

I'm an old lady. I don't knowingly visit "dangerous" sites, but I do buy things on Amazon, and a few other sites, take newsletters, watch videos on YouTube, and visit various crafting sites and sites having to do with books and, sometimes, music. I don't blindly click on email attachments, and I know malware can be lurking anywhere, but I think I need more protection than AVG. Something that doesn't constantly hog too many resources in the background (I can put up with slowness during actual scans) and that is good at catching bad things. Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

Comments (10)