SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Rootstock-Apricots, Plums, Pluots, Peaches and Nectarines Grown in NC

I am planning to plant a few stone-fruit trees in the Fall. I live in the Charlotte area. My head is spinning from the discrepancies in info I am finding regarding rootstock choice, variety, etc. NC extension says Lovell and Halford rootstocks ONLY. Another source says we cannot grow apricots in the South. Yet, another source claims apricots can be grown from seedlings on their own roots. I am confused to say the least. Can someone who grows these fruits please give me some advice and suggestions on root stock and varieties? I am more interested in insect and disease resistance and ability to handle heat, drought and humidity than I am in dwarf or semi-dwarf size. Standard is okay. I can prune. I would also appreciate the names of any nurseries, local or mail-order that would carry appropriate rootstocks and varieties for my area. Dave Wilson's website is amazing. I see that many of his trees are grown for the CA and NW climate, but if it is doable, I would also like to try a aprium, pluerry and plumcot some day! Thanks for any help.

Comments (7)