SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inthecity36

Curtains help!

stardust 23
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm looking for curtains to match this rug that I have in the living room. I have double windows and I would need about size 63' since the windows have a little pantry underneath. But I'm having the hardest time finding ones to match this patterned rug. I normally like pretty curtains with designs but I'm worried if I get something like that, it will clash with the rug and be too much. I'm looking for under $50 per curtain panel pair. Any suggestions?

Would these work? I'm thinking probably not.

Swirl Room Darkening Window Curtain Navy Set 52x84 · More Info

Comments (52)

• deegw
    7 years ago

Again the color isn't quite right and I don't know if I like grommets for your room but it is a good example of a subtle pattern and texture.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I think d_gw gave you great advice. I love your rug and your sofas with it. I'd try for draperies close to the color of the walls with some texture, like what d_gw posted. And the pillows would be gorgeous with your couch and sofas. I guess I should have just "liked" her post, since I didn't add anything!

Not sure your plans for the room and you didn't ask, but I think a glass coffee table would be wonderful in your room. You could see the rug through it and add a little sparkle.

• torreykm
    7 years ago

Agree with others. Something with texture (tone-on-tone) close to wall color. Also love the pillow that d_gw recommended. Love the rug!

• sableincal
    7 years ago

Agree with others: light creamy curtains slightly lighter than the walls.

And D_gw's pillow. I LOVE tapestry pillows and this one is a beauty! In fact, were it available I'd take two right now.

stardust 23 thanked sableincal
  • stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys! Creamy or light colored curtains that match the wall do sound they would tie everything together and be subtle enough. Only thing I wonder is we might paint the room, not sure which color yet maybe a beige or light coffee color. Would creamy or off white curtains still work then?

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

D_gw, those are beautiful pillows! Do you happen to have a link??

• deegw
    7 years ago

stardust, the pillows are from Pottery Barn. You can search rug pillow or kilim pillow to find different colors or price points at other stores. You could scrimp on your plain textured window panels and splurge on your pillows!

Pottery Barn pillow

• User
    7 years ago

i have no additional advice but love the rug! Would you share the source?

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I got the rug from houzz, it's an Eden Place rug, here's a link: https://www.houzz.com/products/eden-place-tan-rug-53x710-prvw-vr~54718413

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So I was thinking about these soft cream curtains. They come in beige and off white. What do you guys think?

[https://www.houzz.com/products/tabitha-paisley-curtains-jacquard-grommet-panels-set-of-2-beige-54x63-singl-prvw-vr~44207633[(https://www.houzz.com/products/tabitha-paisley-curtains-jacquard-grommet-panels-set-of-2-beige-54x63-singl-prvw-vr~44207633)

Tabitha Paisley Curtains Jacquard Grommet Panels, Beige, 54"x63" Single · More Info

I also narrowed down a few pillow choices that give that aztec/rug look but I can't decide which ones! They are around my price range which is about under $30 per pillow.

W

• C Marlin
    7 years ago

I wouldn't do a curtain with the jacquard design, keep it simple, with just a large weave or something similar.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm maybe you're right. It's particular hard to find curtains with subtle pattern yet cream.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Any other suggestions?

• C Marlin
    7 years ago

I don't think you need a pattern, the one you showed is traditional, your rug is contemporary. Sometimes mixing styles works but this time I don't think it works.

• deegw
    7 years ago

Love your pillows. I agree that the jacquard isn't right. It's hard to tell from photos but jacquard has a sheen and the print is too formal for the rug and the pillows.

Do you have a Target or a Bed Bath and Beyond near you? They usually have large displays of curtains and you'll be able to better judge texture in person. Then you can go online and order what you need. Pottery Barn, Country Curtains, etc send free fabric swatches.

Also, the subtle curtain pattern that will work best will most likely come from the weave like linen, herringbone or tweed.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's true, it might be good to see the texture in person. There's a Pier Imports, Target and Bed Bath near me. I could check and see if I find anything. I need something subtle for pattern or something modern and simple.

With pillows, I'm thinking of the first one I posted. Good choice?

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Would these work for curtains such as these in ivory? They're origami and I think have a weave pattern. I'm thinking they look casual yet rich looking.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/b-smith-origami-grommet-window-curtain-panels/204235#BVRRWidgetID

• Gia N
    7 years ago

I love the pillows! I'd go with one of the first 2 out of the 3 pillows you posted.

• Lacey Hall Tedesco
    7 years ago

Bed Bath and BeyondHello! Everyone has amazing suggestions! I have been liking my way down the thread. I don't want to add anymore to confuse, but I would like to offer some different pillow suggestions. I am LOVING the colors in your rug. You could really pick up the lavenders/ pinks/ blues on your sofa. West Elm always has some fun ones.

http://www.westelm.com/products/sari-silk-pillow-cover-t3564/?pkey=call-pillows-throws-poufs

As for curtains, go bold girl! I believe that curtains are jewelry for the window. Take for example these fantastic ombre curtains. They add classic style that won't compete with your rug but bring your design to the next level.

Good luck!

stardust 23 thanked Lacey Hall Tedesco
  • stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lacey those are so fun and vibrant!! What kinda pillows would go with the ombré if I go with curtains such as those? Are those from Houzz?

• Lacey Hall Tedesco
    7 years ago

Stardust_23, So happy you like! I too love the ombre look. Those curtains can be found at Bed Bath and Beyond, but if you just search 'ombre curtains' online there are a ton more! Be aware if you do need to shorten them, you will loose some of the effect... unless you are a great sewing and can take from the top and bottom!

As for pillows, those silk ones from West Elm would work. To create a punch in your living room, I would add some solid color pillows of the color you love the most in your rug. When you look at your rug, what color pops out to you? What color speaks your name? Choose your solid color pillow from there. And know, the color that speaks to you today may change in the future. This will highlight that color in your rug and not compete with the beautiful pattern.

For pillows I usually have great success at Homegoods and Target. West Elm is wonderful for pillows but can add up quickly (cha ching!).

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks again for the suggestions! I'll take a look at Homegoods, there is one not too far from me. That makes complete sense, if I go with the ombre, solid pillows would work the best.

• Lacey Hall Tedesco
    7 years ago
    Yes! I'm all about layering so solid pillows are easy to have as your 'staple' then if you find a fun pillow you like along the way, you can add it in with ease.

My trick is to buy every pillow I think I might like. You will walk out looking like the pillow lady! BUT, you can play around will all the colors on your own time. Keep the best, return the rest.
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

I still would caution against a strong drapery statement. With that gorgeous rug, it should be center stage and the ombre will really compete with it. Your rug has beautiful muted colors, as does your sofa, so using such strong, clear colors doesn't seem to complement what you already have. Plus, even if the colors were right, the ombre would not show because it's behind your sofa.

I'd stay neutral, with texture and then bring in the colors you want with your pillows.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's true I was thinking that too, that the ombré wouldn't show because of the sofa in front of the windows.

what about the ivory origami curtains i posted with one of those rug patterned Aztec pillows?

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I think the origami might be just a little too "light" color-wise and texture-wise. They seem a little summery and kind of sheer but you should check them out in person if you can - they might be perfect. I think you are on the right track.

I think you can do better than most of the pillows posted since d_gw posted the PERFECT pillow :-) The latest silk ones Lacey posted are nice, too, (great color combos) and are really reasonable, but don't include the pillow stuffing. So if you can find the pillow forms for cheap, those might be wonderful in your room. You could do some fun mixing and matching with colors to coordinate with the rug. I agree with doing some mostly plain ones with one or two really interesting patterned ones. You should check out Homegoods and Target and see what you find. They are easy to try and return if you don't love them. Post them here; we love to give advice! :-)

Sorry, I can't be more help with draperies; my internet is really, really wonky tonight and I can't get any web pages to open easily.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's true. Now that I think about it, the origami does seem a little light or too airy. Great suggestions for pillows! I'll check out Home Goods probably tomorrow will post what I find!

I think I'm hopefully getting closer to choosing the right curtains. I saw more that I liked at Bed Bath. I'm going to see if I can go in person. But what about one of these?

• User
    7 years ago

I like the first one best in the group you just posted. Such a great rug!

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I like the first ones best, too. I think you are going in the right direction. I love the chevron, but think it's too repetitive of the rug pattern. Any that look kind of soft with a rounded pattern (the last ones) are too disparate from the rug (I think). :-) The 3rd ones are nice, but think it's too much pattern. If the 2nd ones aren't too dark they might work too, but I think if you look for more texture (like #1) you'll get a better look for your room.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like the first ones too, I thought they would be a good fit out of all of them. The other ones seem too patterned. I just checked the price, they are $64 per panel, yikes for me! I might just go with this: But I'm going to keep looking though.

• deegw
    7 years ago

It's really hard to judge texture from photos. The strong lighting tends to wash out subtle details. I think if you take a trip to Target, Homegoods or BB and Beyond it will be much easier to pick something that will work.

Also, choices may look different in your lighting and colors. Just unpack one panel and drape it over your rod to double check the look before you spend a lot of time unpacking, ironing and hanging.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Can you decide for certain what your wall color will be? Or would you be okay picking a wall color later that coordinates well with the draperies? I don't think you want too much contrast between them, so be sure to select a color that you think would work well with whatever you envision your wall color to be. I think if you go in person, you may find a better selection and maybe even some clearance. Do you have a Tues. Morning or TJ Maxx near you? You might check those places for better prices. And don't forget the 20% off coupons for BBB. You can use one coupon per item, which might help with your choices.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Went to Home Goods, Pier and Bed Bath. I had absolute no luck with pillows. I saw the last set of cream curtains I just posted. They looked really cute and not too heavy, not too light, good texture. I'm thinking of going with them, I'd have to order online since they didn't have the size. One thing I'm slightly worried about is if the threads come out.

Other thing I'm wondering is how many panels I need since the 2 windows are right next to each other? I'm thinking 3 to cover each corner/side.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

FWIW, I can totally envision a neutral navy shade w/ the rug in that room, just not that wavy pattern, which would clash, for sure. I like the idea of a dark element w/ the lighter neutrals of the room. A solid would be best, I agree:

• Kitch4me
    7 years ago

Do you live near an Ikea?

The Ritvas are a soft white and the Aina curtains are a creamy white, they also come in beige. The Ritva curtains look very similar to the last curtains you posted and only $25 for a pair.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh wow thanks, that's a good price!!! I'll check them out

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

So I made a final trip to Bed Bath and narrowed it down to these: below

So hard to decide! I really like the 2nd ones but I'm worried the
    color looks too yellow and maybe the last ones are too light and for the 1st ones, i'm not too sure about the texture, but I want to choose one
    of them and finally decide so I can move onto pillows!

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/dkny-front-row-back-tab-window-curtain-panel/3287891
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/veratex-brooklyn-linen-grommet-window-curtain-panel/3309263?categoryId=12198

• Gia N
    6 years ago

I'd go with the texture you like the best. Those are all really nice.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm thinking the first or third ones

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For pillows, I was thinking of one of these possibly, any of these match?

• User
    6 years ago

I think the first or third curtain choices are both good. I don't know about the pillows though, hard to judge. I do not think the first pillow (again maybe my monitor is distorting it- you have seen them in person) works. to me, the black in the pillow doesn't go....but again I would wait for more comments as there are definitely better qualified peeps on here.

II really feel for you I know what it's like to have made such good selections and you just want to move on!

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah! I just want it to be finally done with, but it feels like I have all these options or maybe if I go with one, I could miss out on another I haven't seen yet! Thanks for the input! I was thinking the 1st or 3rd curtains too.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I think the first set of curtains looks more substantial and I like the cream color of them vs. the whiteness of the last pair.

I don't think you've found your best pillows yet. Did you completely eliminate these that Lacey posted above? I think you could get a couple different ones that would look spectacular with your rug and sofa, then take your time finding that one great patterned pillow that will make your heart sing!

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was leaning toward the first cream colored curtains too. I think likely I will go with them or least try them out, I could always return them!

I do really like those pillows Lacey suggested. It would be cute to get different colors!! But since they are covers I'm worried I may not find the right size cushions/pillows.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just checked they have an option to select pillow inserts! And some of the throws are on sale for $9-$27 depending on color. I just have to work it out that I don't spent too much since the inserts seem to be $12

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Be sure to note that you can get 15% off by signing up for their emails, too. I do that then just unsubscribe if I don't want to continue getting them.

• stardust 23
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah even with 15 percent it's coming up to $170 for the west elm two toned pillows. I can't really find anything better and they are so cute if I can mix and match different ones but seems it's ridiculous to spend that much on pillows.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

how many are you thinking of buying?

• hamamelis
    6 years ago

I wasn't going to answer because my, admittedly narrow, strong preference is almost always curtains that blend with the wall color. To my taste, continuing the sweep of background, instead of breaking the whole up with more blocks demanding attention, to throw attention to special foci is a winning recipe. But turns out I like where you're going without any suggestions from me anyway. :)

Concerning pillows , must you finalize them, or all of them, now? Maybe wait and add personality as your design evolves? Like art (especially!), lamps, and other accessories, they are, after all, an opportunity for further creative expression. Current popular styles, relentlessly mass production driven, may persuasively argue otherwise, but depth of personalization and impressions can always be introduced subtly. My favorite rooms always offer more when seated after merely scanning on entry. Shallowness is so common, and depth need not equal clutter.

• User
    6 years ago

Hamamelis has a good point- do it one step at a time. The curtains I think will really make a big step in getting progress. The pillows don't really need to be decided this minute. See if the curtains work and then over time you can find pillows. I agree those are way pricey and maybe you can get 2 special ones when you see them and then just add some basic readily available solids or prints (like at home goods, tjmaxx etc). Don't get overwhelmed- by thinking everything has to be decided at once.